• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

I certainly expected them to have got Thrush Nightingale earlier. There was one (first two photos) hiding amongst the more numerous Eastern Nightingales (third photo) in the bushes where they found me the Basra Reed Warbler. :t:

All the best

Paul

Surely first 2 pix also eastern nightingale...

B

Hi,

hmmm... maybe a silly question, ... but...

Is there any more detailed description of the eastern boundary of the WP in BWP (or as online resource/map)?

Looking at available maps and in comparison to there last birding spots in the observation diary, I wonder... Are they realy still within the WP defined by BWP?
Especially the spots at Monetny?

Greetings!
Thorsten

Hi,

hmmm... maybe a silly question, ... but...

Is there any more detailed description of the eastern boundary of the WP in BWP (or as online resource/map)?

Looking at available maps and in comparison to there last birding spots in the observation diary, I wonder... Are they realy still within the WP defined by BWP?
Especially the spots at Monetny?

Greetings!
Thorsten

Thorsten

There was also discussion regarding the extent of the waters and Islands included off the Kuwaiti mainland.

In respect of the Urals, BWP refers to 'using the limits internationally agreed for the Flora Europaea (Tutin et al 1964)' so if you can find that reference, I imagine that it will help.

All the best

Here you can zoom in. The land borders of the WP are well defined here. In Dominic Mitchel's new annotated checklist the boundaries are also shown for most water bodies I could look them up when I'm back at home.

So they have indeed left the WP quite a few times!

Here you can zoom in. The land borders of the WP are well defined here. In Dominic Mitchel's new annotated checklist the boundaries are also shown for most water bodies I could look them up when I'm back at home.

So they have indeed left the WP quite a few times!

Maffong

It shows obvious differences in pattern from the inside cover of Volume 1 of BWP......... :eek!:

All the best

Hi Paul,

yeah... thanks, that helped :)
... helped in the insight, that all WP-maps to find in the internet (inkl. Wikipedia (!) and Club300.de... Monetny would be outside the WP) are more or less inaccurate!

Acoording to Tutin et al. 1964, BWP (and Paul) the eastern boundary of europe, and therefore the "BWP-WP" is defined as:
"The eastern boundary of Europe is defined as running in the Arctic Ocean between Novaja Zemlja and Vajgac; up the Kara River to 68° N. ; thence along the crest of the Ural Mountains (following the administrative boundaries) to 58°30' N. ; thence by an arbitrary straight line to a point 50 km E. of Sverdlovsk, and by another arbitrary straight line to the head-waters of the Ural River (S. of Zlatoust); thence along the Ural River to the Caspian Sea."

Sverdlovsk = Yekaterinburg these days

So everything is OK! Living more or less in the central of the WP, I usually do not mind about this subject! :)

Greetings
Thorsten

Attachments

• WP.jpg
    WP.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Maffong

It shows obvious differences in pattern from the inside cover of Volume 1 of BWP......... :eek!:

All the best

You're right! I always thought that map was totally accurate, but even the netfugl map (where you can't zoom in) shows the little bend around Yekaterinburg.
Also Pallas's Reed Bunting and Pin-tailed Snipe have now been reported from Eletskaya region, so that brings down the number of possible and accessible code 3 species that are missing to just 2: White's Thrush and Pechora Pipit (formerly code 4, but breeds in north-easternmost european Russia)

Is anybody in direct contact with the Big Year boys? When will we get the next update? Is everything alright with them and are they just outside Wi-Fi zone? Questions after questions (when you are a virtual birding junkie!)...

Is anybody in direct contact with the Big Year boys? When will we get the next update? Is everything alright with them and are they just outside Wi-Fi zone? Questions after questions (when you are a virtual birding junkie!)...

Just out of internet zone for a few days, should be back online in next day or two...

Well five days' sightings awaited to date and I hope that they are making a dent in the following:-

Pin-tailed Snipe
Swinhoe's Snipe
Black-throated Accentor
Red-flanked Bluetail
White's Thrush
Arctic Warbler
Yellow-browed Warbler
Azure Tit
Grey-headed Chickadee
Rustic Bunting
Little Bunting
Pallas's Reed Bunting

Rock Ptarmigan
Willow Ptarmigan
Eurasian Dotterel
Two-barred Crossbill

All the best

I believe they'll have all of these, minus Pallas's Reed and Swinhoe's Snipe, both of these occur farther north than they'll be going. I wouldn't be surprised if they also didn't get Dotterel and/or Two-barred Crossbill.

Their Russia leg is planned until 30.7. so I guess it'll be a few more days until we hear from them.

Brian

Always happy to learn. I went on the basis of the length of the first primary and apparent 8 primary tips in addition to the tail colouration.

Do you consider I've interpreted that wrongly?

Many thanks

Hi Paul

Sorry for delayed response, I have been away tour leading.

I went with my general impression of plumage colour and tone which don't seem to equal Sprosser to me. Eastern Nightingale variable

See these and compare some of these - https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=13994274@N03&view_all=1&text=nightingale

Brian

Hi Paul

Sorry for delayed response, I have been away tour leading.

I went with my general impression of plumage colour and tone which don't seem to equal Sprosser to me. Eastern Nightingale variable

See these and compare some of these - https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=13994274@N03&view_all=1&text=nightingale

Brian

Brian

Many thanks. I do wonder about the identification of at least two of the individuals on that link labelled as a Nightingale!

I'll see what I can do on the wing formula by going back to my original photos.

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back