• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

corrupted CF card - help desperately wanted! (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Dear all

I've just got back from Israel and started downloading the photos from my CF card. Unfortunately it seems to have corrupted in the process. Ironically it's my most expensive CF card: a Sandisk Extreme.

I do have JPEG back-ups from an SD card in the other card slot but I am desperate to recover the RAW files.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

Are you downloading from the camera or via a card reader? If one method fails, try the other.

Also, try being cabled to the camera and also try using the iPhone/iPad/Android app (using WiFi, near field, etc. wireless tech) for your camera as another method.

Otherwise there are a number of alternative "CF card recovery" services, but I don't know the good ones from scams and I hope someone here in the forums can recommend one for you if the above advice fails.

Via a card reader. When I put the card back in the camera it now only sees 110 photos rather than the 2217 that were on there! I am trying some software. I stopped it after trying it at first, to see if there was a free alternative. It originally found photos but now finds doesn't seem to be finding any - it's still running. It also read the 64GB card as 33MB! It has an increasing amount of 'inaccessible sectors'.

Last edited:
Try Image Rescue. If I remember correctly there is a one time fee and it helped me out a few times to recover images from the disc

Thanks for the suggestions. It took me all afternoon and £32 but I seem to have recovered them using Winrecovery. My stress levels are going down now!

Good to see you got the images back Steve.
Corrupt cards are never fun.
For others that find this.
Recuva works well
https://www.piriform.com/recuva
Use the free version.
I know this sounds counter intuitive but if all else has failed reformat the card in the camera and then try the recovery tool.
The images are still there till you overwrite them with new ones.

Good to hear and if you got all your pics back then £32 ain't so bad ;)

I had a similar problem with a San Disc CF card in my Canon 7Dmkii so I now record on both cards at the same time. This turned out to be a good move as I had a further failure with another San Disc CF card,but the SD card was fine.
Tom Lawson.

Thanks for the suggestions. It took me all afternoon and £32 but I seem to have recovered them using Winrecovery. My stress levels are going down now!

Excellent news for you. I too lost a number of images some years ago on the same card. Now I always write to both cards in the body and backup daily when on a trip. Added to that new card(s) every day. Once bitten and all that. £32 is small price to pay at the end of the day to get your images back. Its only when you have lost images that you can really appreciate how gut wrenching it is.

Phil

Glad to hear that Steve was successful in recovering his pictures - I feel your stress! Just for future reference I'd like to mention that I've had very good success in the past with testdisk/photorec which is completely free, but requires a certain amount of computer savviness.

Andrea

Excellent news for you. I too lost a number of images some years ago on the same card. Now I always write to both cards in the body and backup daily when on a trip. Added to that new card(s) every day. Once bitten and all that. £32 is small price to pay at the end of the day to get your images back. Its only when you have lost images that you can really appreciate how gut wrenching it is.

Phil
I did write to both cards but the SD card was JPEGs only to avoid even more reduction in the buffer and I was keen to get the RAW photos back.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back