Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 29th October 2012, 20:28   #1
orniodesigns

Shivers or goose bumps when seeing amazing art?

Do you get physical vibes (shivers, goose bumps...) when you see magnificent art? Music affects many listeners, but what about paintings or sculptures?
Old Monday 29th October 2012, 23:28   #2
Adam W

Never really thought about it like that but i'd say its a yes from me. I quite like my music but I cant play a note so I think perhaps the fact that I do a bit of drawing and painting makes me appreciate amazing art that bit more.
Old Tuesday 30th October 2012, 15:45   #3
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

yes!
Old Tuesday 30th October 2012, 22:19   #4
Gill Osborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by orniodesigns View Post
Do you get physical vibes (shivers, goose bumps...) when you see magnificent art?
GOD, YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely

Even just a few simple lines that captures the jizz of a species ~ animal, bird or plant ~ hits me in the chest and has me drawing in a sharp intake of breath (true...ask my hubby ) and has me ITCHING to pick up my pencils and draw! Not copy that actual picture but just create something....even if it's one millionth as beautiful

Hope this makes sense

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 30th October 2012, 23:25   #5
timwootton

I've certainly felt that - memorably when seeing Da Vinci's 'Madonna' cartoon. Just being able to see where and how the Man made marks was literally awe-some. The sarcophagi in Manchester museum made my entire body vibrate - a truly memorable experience.
Old Wednesday 31st October 2012, 08:34   #6
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

I started weeping when I met up with the Berlin specimen of Archaeopteryx this summer. A truly special moment. I had a similar experience when, as a teenager, I came face to face with an original Ennion watercolour.
Old Wednesday 31st October 2012, 09:46   #7
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickderry View Post
I started weeping when I met up with the Berlin specimen of Archaeopteryx this summer. A truly special moment. I had a similar experience when, as a teenager, I came face to face with an original Ennion watercolour.
The power of the original- another for the transported moment would be down with cave paintings in Font de Gaume. But even in the printed world and dare I say it on-line I can turn the page and get them ecstatic chills: I remember waaaay back it seems when I had a holiday job in a bookshop and the very first vol of the Jonsson 5 vol series arrived, that had me reaching for the smelling salts alright.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 1st November 2012, 12:20   #8
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Osborne View Post
GOD, YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely

Even just a few simple lines that captures the jizz of a species ~ animal, bird or plant ~ hits me in the chest and has me drawing in a sharp intake of breath (true...ask my hubby ) and has me ITCHING to pick up my pencils and draw! Not copy that actual picture but just create something....even if it's one millionth as beautiful

Hope this makes sense
As far as bird and wildlife art this hits it on the head for me. The only difference I'd say is that it has me itching to first get outside and then to draw.

For art in general, and often for wildlife art as well, I think that the most common physical sensation is that my eyes get bigger. I saw this behavior this summer when I was at an outdoor art festival and had art work for sale. Most people would just pass by without looking. But with a very few you could see their eyes get big, whether or not they actually stopped and bought something. For me it's similar with art that strikes me, something just pulls me to it.

I've always found it interesting to hear about different sensations to art. Music I think is far more physical and evocative. But still it's art I love the best.

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 1st November 2012, 18:59   #9
orniodesigns

Thanks for your responses!

It would be interresting to know if here is art wievers who have never felt anything physical.
Old Thursday 1st November 2012, 20:52   #10
Bigshent
Biddulph Birder

I get shivers every time I have a go at art unnfortunately the shivers arent the pleasurable ones
Old Saturday 10th November 2012, 23:55   #11
cjoakley

definitely - yes - happened to me a number of times while viewing the work of the Group of Seven in Ontario's Kleinburg Gallery. particularly anything by AJ Casson.

He even did the odd bird painting!
Old Monday 19th November 2012, 05:08   #12
tbbilbo

On many occasions I became transfixed and literally cried for joy as I viewed great artwork. My most profound experiences were: 1) Monet's "Waterlilies" at the L'Orangerie in Paris, 2) Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling at the Vatican, and 3) Van Gogh's exhibit at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. There were many others but these were especially powerful.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: