• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jomo's Sketchbook (2 Viewers)

Thanks Jo - these are just the job to cheer any Monday morning up!!!
Opening the thumbnails is like waking to a fresh fall of snow as a kid; it's impossible to know where to look first, and equally difficult to drag your gaze away from the delights on view.
Now I'm just going to pop my wellies on and go for a real trek through your drawings.

It's a shame you missed the shrike and crossbill but these are such fantastic drawings!

The snow bunting are so good, I'm especially liking the 3 coloured ones. I checked out your blog and the first photo of the snow buntings dropping out of the sky onto the snow is brilliant too.

Shrikes don't exist in winter anyway - they're nothing but a myth. These are superb, can't think of any other word, just superb. And the woody is going to be a cracker - I see now where I go wrong with my trees.

Trip to the Elora heronry this morning (I've missed herons!). I really wanted to stay much longer than I did, but I'd left my gloves at home (thinking, it's actually slightly above freezing, I won't need them!), and a really awful biting wind numbed my fingers to the point of uselessness. Ah well, it'll be months yet before the trees leaf out and obscure the whole lot, so there's plenty of time to go back.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2009-03-21-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-03-21-1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 53
  • sketchbook 2009-03-21-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-03-21-2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 66
  • sketchbook 2009-03-21-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-03-21-3.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 54
  • sketchbook 2009-03-21-4.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-03-21-4.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 69
Brilliant - just brilliant. These drawings have more life and faithfulness to the species than any suite of photographs could ever attain - the really tricky head-ons are superbly seen and, as usual, you finish off with a delightful colour sketch.
Top drawer work, Jo - just make sure you pop out again soon - waiting for new work from you is like waiting for winter to end - the new drawings bring a springlike warmth to the soul.

incredibly good, each posture subtley different. Lively accurate drawing - and I agree entirely with Tim!

You've just taken my breath away with those herons, top, top, fieldwork.

I went to the heronry at Northward hill a week ago, it's supposed to be one of the biggest in the UK. All I saw was a huge rookery! I think there were three heron pairs hidden away behind the twigs somewhere.

Mike

Gorgeous is the word - I'm sure I'd seen the completed painting somewhere, and commented, but I suppose my cells are deteriorating faster than I thought.
Was it in the Gallery, Jo?
Also - big shout for Jocelyn finally revealing herself - great pic Jo.

Well thanks, everyone! Yes, it's in the gallery, Tim (posted it up a few weeks ago after I finished it).

I'm running out of things to say. I just really like your sketching style and I think I've said it a couple of times already. And the downy painting is a charming. In Finnish the downy woodpecker is called "keijutikka" ("fairy woodpecker") and that's exactly what you've captured in the painting, a delicate, special little woodpecker.

Elina

I'm running out of things to say. I just really like your sketching style and I think I've said it a couple of times already. And the downy painting is a charming. In Finnish the downy woodpecker is called "keijutikka" ("fairy woodpecker") and that's exactly what you've captured in the painting, a delicate, special little woodpecker.

Elina

wow that's almost like chicken tikka! except fairy woodpecker does sound very much more elegant

Nice warm weather on Sunday, managed to get out for a few. How unfair, to be watching careening swallows one day, and then be staring out the window at a steady blizzard the next! Hopefully the weather didn't chase all of the migrants away, as I'm headed up north for Easter weekend and hope to get some birding in. (Cranes?)

Here's a coyote (one of those rare occasions where I spotted it before it spotted me, so there was actually an opportunity for some sketching), and one of the robins that seem to be everywhere at the moment.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2009-04-05-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-04-05-1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 53
  • sketchbook 2009-04-05-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-04-05-2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 55
  • sketchbook 2009-04-05-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-04-05-3.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 54
  • sketchbook 2009-04-05-4.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-04-05-4.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 56
I learn a thousand things each time I look at your sketches Jo, thank you! That first robin sheet is fantastic, such an alive bird and you've captured the thrush characteristics perfectly.

Cranes? Yes please!

Mike

The Heron field sketches are stonking, as mention by others, remarkable drawings that ooze life.
The Downy Woodpecker is rather special too, had not seen it before and am very glad Nick drew attention to it, has brightened my day considerably....

Things have been slow on the migration front lately, but all that changed quite suddenly with the first wave of warblers today. I arrived at the Arboretum to find the trees just dripping -- dripping! -- with Yellow-Rumps, with a few Palms, Black-throated Greens and at least one Waterthrush (probably Northern). I take my vacation in two weeks, this year it'll be Long Point (and wherever else I decide to head off to, I've got a whole week to do nothing but bird!!).

Also, a study of a Cardinal I found by the roadside the other day, poor thing.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2009-04-26-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-04-26-1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 36
  • sketchbook 2009-04-26-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-04-26-2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 38
  • sketchbook 2009-04-26-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-04-26-3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 41
  • sketchbook 2009-04-23 Cardinal Study.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-04-23 Cardinal Study.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 36
  • sketchbook 2009-04-24 Cardinal Study.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-04-24 Cardinal Study.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back