• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good scope for £300 to £400? (1 Viewer)

Inga4023

We want to buy a scope in the above price range (or cheaper!).

Any recommendations please? My husband wears glasses, I don't, and we want something reasonably lightweight to carry around.

Also there is an Opticron GS665 GA ED on Ebay, would it be worth looking at?

Many thanks

If you're not in a rush I'd consider hanging around for a bit to see what comes up on the for sale forum. If you want light the nikon ed50 is the scope to go for, I mainly use mine as a travel scope but lots of people use it as their main scope. About £440 new with eyepiece, I got mine second hand from the for sale section.

Cheers

You could try In Focus at Denby Dale, they have a good second hand section. I got my Kowa 823 from them, second hand and with a 50x eyepiece for less than £500.

Yeah, I was going to say what tero said.

For your budget and weight choice I would go for a 60 - 65mm scope, as they are pretty lightweight and let it plenty of light.

For your budget, you should be able to get an ED scope - which is a special glass that corrects colour better, and produces sharper images.
However, you need to factor in the cost of an eyepiece and a tripod, so 2nd hand might be best.

Kowa make the Ts 613/614 which are angled/straight 60mm ed scopes, that are very lightweight. You can get the 2ndhand for £200 with an eyepiece if you look hard enough!

Good hunting!

Yes we got a second hand Nikon 65mm ED scope from InFocus with a tripod thrown in for around £350.00 2 years ago. It performs much better than any new scopes for the same price and was an excellent choice for us as new birders. We are still very pleased with it although we also have a new 82mm one as well now, which is a lot heavier...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back