• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monk Parakeets or Quaker Parrots in Chicago (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Apparently, the formerly well known Hyde Park is no longer a reliable site to find Monk Parakeets in Chicago. On three visits over several years, I have never been able to find them, though I had found stick nests on one visit. This time, on a early July visit, I met a knowledgeable employee of the Chicago City Works. He said that the birds had pretty much moved to other locations. And he suggested to look for them in Rowan Park on 115th and L Street in East Side Chicago, not far from the Indiana borderline. According to him, the birds were "all over" at that location. As he lives in that area, he knew the place well. I'd like to thank this helpful but unknown (to me) fellow bird enthusiast here.

And, sure enough, I saw and heared them just as I was getting out of the car. But then, I had trouble locating them again. And a search for their huge stick nests in the local trees proved unsuccessful. Now that was only because I did not look at the tall pylons of the park's illumination installation. The nests are placed very conspicuously up there between the lights. So much for functioning via search images. ;)

A brief video can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAo2oMekTQ8

I later heared the birds further west as well, in Roseland, in the Gately Park area on 103rd and Cottage Grove.

Attachments

• P1040183redBF.jpg
    P1040183redBF.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 152
  • P1040184redBF.jpg
    P1040184redBF.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 146
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back