• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rainy day in the state of Missouri (1 Viewer)

moore5861

Greetings, New here.

I have two feeders out back my apartment on the edge of a state park, densely wooded.

I thought I might share what birds I have seen today. Its cold and rainy for the month of May here, around 45 degrees F.

5-4-2017

Light Rain, windy, 45 degrees, Late Afternoon observation. :storm:

6 morning doves
4 male rose breasted grosbeaks
2 female grosbeaks
2 male robins
16 male cowbirds
13 female cowbirds
1 male hairy wood pecker
1 female hairy wood pecker
2 chipping sparrows
1 male house sparrow
Nest of Caroline Wrens on Patio

Not a bad haul for a crappy weather day.

That's a whole lot of Cowbirds you've got there. Guess there will be a lot of nests parasitism going on this spring.

A warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

yes, unfortunately I have a lot of cowbirds. I have a nest box with Carolina wrens, 3 baby birds, I don't believe any of them are cowbirds, so we got lucky there. This is the second year the wrens have used this box. I put up two more next boxes today, maybe they will see some use this year.

I am most surprised to see the grosbeaks this far south in Missouri, they normally reside north of the Missouri River from what I understand from books, and I don't recall seeing them locally before.

I think my favourites are the morning doves. I can add a Male Cardinal, and one Blue Jay to the list for today as well. Really good day for the feeder.

I really like crows, but I haven't had any since I put the feeders up back in January. I see them in rural areas, but here in town, small little town that is, I don't see them much.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back