• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conquest HD 8x42 - Zeiss will be providing new eyecups (2 Viewers)

Can I ask about servicing. I also have 8x32FL and want to know if I should send them for servicing. As far as I can tell they are still in perfect working order. Do people send their bins for servicing when they are working fine or what? What is done in the service? Does it cost anything? How often should they be serviced?

Thanks.

Hi Richard

I could have used a better word than servicing as it suggests some sort of routine check-up to be performed at regular intervals, and this is not the impression I should have given. The FL went back to have a particular issue dealt with and while Zeiss had the unit opened up it was cleaned and any adjustments required were made.

I agree with James on this and never send my bins for routine check-ups. I figure if its working fine, don't mess with it.

Lee

I would also like to have the new eyecups. Not for that I personally need it because I use the binoculars with eyeglasses on, but it would be good to get this thing right. A more serious problem for me is the annoying play in the focusing wheel. I have read that there are some samples who has this problem, and other don't. I wonder if this issue can be solved, anyone who knows?

I would also like to have the new eyecups. Not for that I personally need it because I use the binoculars with eyeglasses on, but it would be good to get this thing right. A more serious problem for me is the annoying play in the focusing wheel. I have read that there are some samples who has this problem, and other don't. I wonder if this issue can be solved, anyone who knows?

If you bought the unit within the last 3 months or so I would take it / send it back to the store you bought it from and ask for another unit.

If you bought it some time ago I would contact Zeiss about it and ask them to repair or replace it under warranty:

Carl Zeiss AB

Sports Optics
Tegeluddsvägen 76, 115 28 Stockholm
Box 27324, 102 54 Stockholm
Sweden
Tel. +46 8 459 25 00
[email protected]

BTW if the eyecups work OK for you there is no need to change them. The standard eyecups work ok for most people, but if you intend to sell them at some point, it would be nice to say they come with both standard and extended eyecups.

Lee

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Lee! I will do so! :t:

Swedpat

I think you probably have some nice birds, dragonflies and flowers around Boden. I have been to Skelleftea to the south and even as far north as Kemi in Finland but somehow I missed Boden in between.

Lee

Yesterday I received my Conquest HD 8x42 back after shipment to Zeiss. The eye cups are replaced with longer ones and the focusing wheel is a bit stiffer and there is no more annoying play! It took over a month but it's worth it, this is an excellent binocular and I am really satisfied that the problem is solved! B :)

Last edited:
Karen advises it will be at least a month to get the longer Eye cups

The replacements showed up yesterday and they are the exact same as what they were using a couple years back. Still a horrid design but if you get them set and never have to change them, they're fine. If you go back and forth with sunglasses, they still suck as they are very stiff and jerky to twist in and out. The HD's are such great binoculars except for these abysmal eyecups.

Is this eyecup problem a general Conquest HD thing, or does it only affect the 8x32/8x42?
Has this problem ever been officially resolved, or do Zeiss still fob folks off with free replacements which are just as shitty as the originals?

I'm asking because I want to scratch the Zeiss itch in the not too distant future.

(I put this question to the Zeiss CS but of course I never received an answer)

Is this eyecup problem a general Conquest HD thing, or does it only affect the 8x32/8x42?
Has this problem ever been officially resolved, or do Zeiss still fob folks off with free replacements which are just as shitty as the originals?

I'm asking because I want to scratch the Zeiss itch in the not too distant future.

(I put this question to the Zeiss CS but of course I never received an answer)

It affected the 42mm models. The change was in eye relief, detent changes
etc. They work fine, they are made of plastic for several reasons.

Jerry

Then why is this issue also mentioned on the Conquest HD 8x32 in post #53
?

Not sure, the 42mm was the first Conquest HD, and it happened then.

I suppose the 32 also had the option. I suppose you could check with Zeiss
and come back with the details of, what, where and why.

That would solve the puzzle.....;)

Jerry

Not sure, the 42mm was the first Conquest HD, and it happened then.

I suppose the 32 also had the option. I suppose you could check with Zeiss
and come back with the details of, what, where and why.

That would solve the puzzle.....;)

Jerry

As pointed out in my post (#69) I have already done that but never received an answer. I just put it down to teutonic arrogance.

That is why I ventured forth to look for an answer here. Guess I'm out of luck again. Maybe I should look at Leicas a bit more closely after all.

Well I am ever so glad to have met such a friendly and helpful person as yourself then. Thank you for letting me tap your endless fount of wisdom and knowledge.

My advice is to try all of the binoculars you can. They are all different and
we all have different wants and needs.

The reviews of binoculars on this site are very useful. I suppose you already
know that.

If you are looking at the mid-range, the Zeiss Conquest HD, Nikon Monarch HG rise to the top. They are both ones that I own.

Good luck, it is fun with the search.

Jerry

I recently bought some new Conquest 8x32 in the UK. I emailed Zeiss UK about the longer eyecups, they put me in touch with their UK service agent who sent me a pair free of charge by return. They were very stiff to start with, I put the tiniest trace of WD40 on them and after a few uses, I have found them to work absolutely fine, quite positive and not at all difficult to use.

Does anybody know an EU/UK vendor with the longer/extended eyecups for the Conquest? I seem to only be able to find them @ optics4birding in US and import duties/taxes would make them quite a bit more expensive. Haven't mailed Zeiss NL yet, but will be another step. Thanks already!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back