Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 16th July 2017, 20:39   #1
mtbeatle

Sparrows v House Martins

I have three House Martin nests at my house. They all appear to have been doing well until about a week ago.

I noticed about a weeks ago that 2 featherless chicks had left one the nests somehow and died.

A couple of days later a further two similarly immature chicks had somehow left a nest and died (All four were dead underneath the nests).

On keeping an eye on this I noticed a male and female sparrow watching the three nests and randomly attempting to enter them.

I therefore assume these birds have at some point entered the nests and forced the chicks out.

All three nests are still being visited and by the House Martins and they seem to be continuing to feed chicks within.

Why would the sparrows be doing this? Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Thanks

Craig (this is my first post)
Old Monday 17th July 2017, 02:21   #2
fugl

House Sparrows are notorious in the States for this kind of behavior, particularly in the case of bluebird and Tree Swallow nests around human habitations. Nest cavities/boxes tend to be in short supply in such places, leading to lots of no-holds-barred competition within and between species. Destruction of eggs and the death of nestlings often result.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Monday 17th July 2017 at 02:24.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: