• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheap package deal/self organised trip somewhere? (1 Viewer)

OP, I've thought about Jamaica for years, in particular Green Castle Estate.

The one week all inclusive tour is $2000 but they say you can do whatever you want; a day pass is $30 and the least expensive room is $99/night self cater. I'd love to get with some other people and do this reasonably cheap.

The only bird we missed in Cuba several years ago is Zapata Rail, which no one ever sees, so Cuba is out for me (as far as birding goes).

Birding the Dominican Republic would be next on my list. I think a local guide makes a lot of sense. I had some emails with Explora Ecotours last year and like what they offer.

Something to think about....

Cheers,
John

I am looking at heading back to Nepal to trek the Langtang region above Kathmandu for about three weeks from mid November. £15 - £20 a day covering all lodging and food, and return flights from London for under £400. The area was close to the epicenter of the 2015 earthquake but things are recovering and recent up to date info says that most trails are open and there are enough lodges/tea houses to be able to serve trekkers along much of the well walked routes. The backdrop of the Himalayas, the hospitality of local people (many of whom are desperate to see tourism return to the region) and a ton of good birds. Raptors, Forktails, Yuhinas, Babblers, Laughing thrushes, Rosefinches, Redstarts....

I am looking at heading back to Nepal to trek the Langtang region above Kathmandu for about three weeks from mid November. £15 - £20 a day covering all lodging and food, and return flights from London for under £400. The area was close to the epicenter of the 2015 earthquake but things are recovering and recent up to date info says that most trails are open and there are enough lodges/tea houses to be able to serve trekkers along much of the well walked routes. The backdrop of the Himalayas, the hospitality of local people (many of whom are desperate to see tourism return to the region) and a ton of good birds. Raptors, Forktails, Yuhinas, Babblers, Laughing thrushes, Rosefinches, Redstarts....

Don't forget that hiring a trekking guide has now been made obligatory

A

Don't forget that hiring a trekking guide has now been made obligatory

I stand to be corrected, but I believe this was a proposal (which has been made several times over the years) rather than anything more - many media outlets reported it as coming into effect, but certainly as of spring this year, folk were still able to trek without guides if they wished.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe this was a proposal (which has been made several times over the years) rather than anything more - many media outlets reported it as coming into effect, but certainly as of spring this year, folk were still able to trek without guides if they wished.

Yes I just hired a porter last year which was well worthwhile as it meant that I could bird more easily on the trails without the weight of a rucksack on my back. No-one told me I should have a guide. If I had had one I'm not sure how he would have reacted to me going where I did to find yellow-rumped honeyguide...

I never managed to find a car rental at 11 eur/day.

More general question: how do you guys keep the cost of car rental down? I presume some clever tricks with buying insurance separately? How do you factor a personal liability insurance?

Yes cover the excess with your own insurance. Much cheaper that way. Several companies do it now.

I believe it came about as a result of the earthquake, maybe they just don't enforce it?

It is far more enjoyable to bird without lumping a bag around anyway and it certainly doesn't break the bank in Nepal which is one of the few countries where you can still bird very cheaply. Just a pity there are so few endemics, standing at just one, Spiny Babbler.

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back