• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Land of the Tiger camera traps (1 Viewer)

Yes there's a setting for still photos though I haven't tried it yet. You can set it to take 1, 2 or 3 photos at 3, 5 or 8 mp, then same as the video I think, you set an interval time before it will trigger again. The default is 10 seconds but I just have it at 1, the lowest. I'll stick it out in the garden tonight on stills and see what happens...

I can only imagine what would appear if I set it outside my cabin - martins, Wild Boar, Beavers, deer, who knows what! Fancy a night in the woods? ;)

Right then, first attempt with stills, most important lesson is the camera needs to be pointing slightly down the trail (if set on a trail) to trigger as far away as possible, not a side on shot. The one second start up can cause some problems with speedy creatures like foxes.

Anyways, best two photos of the night, I can definitely do better....

Second one particularly welcome and somewhat unexpected, though I knew they were around. As we've discovered on previous ventures badgers seem to be a little more savvy to the IR light than other animals, despite literature everywhere claiming they can't see it at all. So this one triggered the camera twice (to take 6 photos), but this is all I got. I suspect he nipped round the back and sat directly behind munching the apples. :)

Attachments

• fox garden bf.jpg
    fox garden bf.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 274
  • badger garden bf.jpg
    badger garden bf.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 272
Seems to be happily chomping in the latter parts of the video, when the wee mouse cleverly resided just below where you set the camera - can't be sure what though, maybe not a poor little defenceless slater.

Last edited:
Seems to be happily chomping in the latter parts of the video, when the wee mouse cleverly resided just below where you set the camera - can't be sure what though, maybe not a poor little defenceless slater.

Yeah it needs to be a little lower or pointing down, they seem to like that log. I might stick it back there tomorrow, but then there's the badgers, foxes etc.... I need another camera.......

I've been using one for a couple of weeks.

I think your IR pool of light is a little lower in the picture and a bit more pronounced than mine. I bought the XLT with the viewer which is incredibly useful for lining up the camera.

I've tried cutting out a diffuser from a tupperware box in the hope of evening out the pool of light from the LEDs but it didnt work. I havent found the correct material yet. Incidentally I've found its best not to get too close to the potential subject and to point the cam down more than you would think. I made a couple of door-stop type wedges to help point it down.

I bought a cable lock in B&Q and have dispensed with the strap. The cable threads through the mounts on the back of the cam and pulls through the locking mechanism. I must say I've slept better at night knowing someone can't just unstrap the camera.

Have you tried the high-sensitivity sensor setting? When I tried the other night I filled the SD card with images (of nothing) and flattened the battery. I think the medium setting is adequate.

The IR does seem brighter on the stills than it does on video, even on stills taken from the videos, I'm not sure why. I did wonder about using a filter of some kind so interesting to hear that you've given it a go, I think I'll try a few things too.

I've just been wedging some sticks in to point it down! And I agree with the distance, at least a couple of metres from where the pool of light will hit.

Practice makes perfect!

Do you have any stills or videos you could post?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back