• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Argentina and ??? (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

I think about Northern Argentina again in the autumn.
Idea is the area between Salta and Corrientes maybe Iguazu.

But I have 4 weeks, so I want add Paraguay or Uruguay.
Which places are recommended as good birds spots of this countries ?

Favorits are big parrots like Macaws, King Vulture, Harpie and also waders.

Also advices for bird tour operators are welcome.

Thank You very much.

Best regards
Dieter

Last edited:
A few ideas from my experience of birding north eastern Argentina in 2002.

Esteros del Ibera (Ibera marshes) is an excellent site. North east of the town of Mercedes, I stayed in a village called Pellegrini and did boat trips from there. It's a huge wetland (second only to Pantanal I think), with capybara etc as well as birds a plenty.

On the journey out, I went by a less used north route, which took me through a lot of wild grasslands where I picked up Strange-tailed Tyrant and Black-and-White Monjita - a couple of first class birds.

Parque Nacional Iquazu was very good also, but I had to get away from the main tourist tracks and on to some tracks that went deeper into the forest and away from the (incredibly impressive) waterfall. Toco Toucans aplenty here, and a good selection of sub-tropical birds, a bit more similar to those of the Mata Atlantica further north.

If you're in Buenos Aires, it is well worth visiting Costanera Sur Ecological Reserve if it's still as good as it was in 2002. Lots of birds in a central city setting.

John

Hello John,

thank You for the information.
Where do You bin in Iguazu NP ?
There are 2 hikes I remember or is there some other places ?

I slept south of Iguassu, near lake. There also was a small protected area.
But most birds and also Tapir, I saw in Urugaui provincial park.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=295206&d=1290872437

Last year I started from Tucuman, Tafi del Valley, Los Cardones, Grand Salar, Humanca Valley, Laguna Los Pozuelas, Calilegua, El Ray, Copo ( dry Chaco ), Chaco, Mbururuya, Iguassu.
Chaco sounds boring. I thougt pass this as quick as possible.
But I saw parrots very near, Vermillion Flycatchers, Rheas, Grand Tukan very near and at the top one Puma.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=295107&d=1290812673

South of Iguassu there also nice forest, but no information.
There should be also some nice areas near east border to Brazil.
e.g. Reserve de la biosfera Yaboti

Maybe another possibility instead of driving to Urugay or Paraguay is to visit an area in Argentina, where I can find more waders and seabirds at the coast or nearby ?

Of course I want to sea King Vulture and Harpie, which I did not find last year.

I used normal car, no 4x4.

Somehow if You send question via email to the people ( english or spain language ), mostly never You get an answer.
But the people there are very helpful and mostly with excellent knowlegde.
I can not remember so good qualified national park staff like in Argentina.
In every case they have much better knowledge than the staff in national parks in Germany.

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back