• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (2 Viewers)

Hello,

This morning, I glanced out the window and saw a bird with a yellow breast and a rufous head. I was surprised at seeing a warbler, so early in the spring. Checking the guide, I decided that it must be a a palm warbler. A few minutes, later, I saw a white throated sparrow. Together, they make an unaccustomed seasonal overlap.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

Hey Arthur,
I've been over NY on business and was lucky enough to get CP a few times in the last week. Indeed, there's a real mix of (winter and summer) migrants around and I found a couple of big junco flocks on the edge of the Great Lawn and just North of the Reservoir and both flocks had a pine warbler in them. There were a few palm warblers around and I had three together on the edge of Tupalo Meadow. Other seasonal mis-matches were white-throated, song, swamp and fox sparrows with a couple of Louisiana waterthrush, golden and ruby-crowned kinglets at The Oven's. With a supporting cast of hermit thrushes and the odd phoebe.
great place to visit and easy to bird.
Nick

More seasonal overlap

Hello Nick,

From your lips to some divine power. This midday, I saw juncos from my window and a warbler, probably a prairie warbler, simultaneously. Unfortunately, my hands were occupied and I could not glass the warbler.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Hello all,

Friday morining, about 9 AM, I glanced out my window to see a fox sparrow. Although, I would much prefer bird watching in Central Park, morning observations at my window are rather more fruitful than I ever expected.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Hello all,

Friday morining, about 9 AM, I glanced out my window to see a fox sparrow. Although, I would much prefer bird watching in Central Park, morning observations at my window are rather more fruitful than I ever expected.

Happy bird watching,

Fabulous Arthur. Fox sparrows are a favorite here. Had some move through few weeks ago. Havent seen our locals yet.

Hello all,

The migration season must be going rather well, as a warbler turned up, near by window, this morning. It was overcast and the bird flittered among the bushes but I am reasonable certain that it was acommon yellowthroat.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

12th Street Oriole

During the worst of this morning's weather, I had good views of a Baltimore Oriole and an Eastern Towhee from our 3rd floor apartment on 12th St just off 5th Ave.

During the worst of this morning's weather, I had good views of a Baltimore Oriole and an Eastern Towhee from our 3rd floor apartment on 12th St just off 5th Ave.

Hello Baglee,

Good bird! If I recall, there is an open green spot, near you, maybe around a church, and you are a few hundred metres from Union Square.

Happy bird watching in Manhattan,
Arthur :news:

Hello all,

It has been an overcast and rainy day but the rain has brought gray catbirds to my window, both in the morning and in the afternoon.

Happy bird watching,

Today on 12th Street

A drab Blue Headed Vireo bounced past the window late morning. A single Grey Catbird and two American Robin the only other highlights on 12th. Single Swainson's Thrush at SW corner of Washington Square Park (WSP) this morning.

A drab Blue Headed Vireo bounced past the window late morning. A single Grey Catbird and two American Robin the only other highlights on 12th. Single Swainson's Thrush at SW corner of Washington Square Park (WSP) this morning.

Hello Baglee,

You are certainly proving that the observant eye can have much success on the mean streets of Gotham.

Happy bird watching,

Hi Guys
Nice to see your ramblings...pun semi intended. My wife and i are due to spend a little time at Cape May and then on to your patch in June.

It seems, if I am correct that things are a little slow so far?

All the best.

Hello Sleeper,

I cannot say what is happening in Central Park or Jamaica Bay, but June is past he peak of the warbler season.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Hi Pinewood

I know I know about the Warbler season but this trip whilst very much about birds I also have a few dates of significance the occur at this time period plus a few other things that have decided my time table.

I am still hoping for a great time though.

May I ask how Liberty State Park rates if indeed you have any info on the place.

All the best

Hi Pinewood

I know I know about the Warbler season but this trip whilst very much about birds I also have a few dates of significance the occur at this time period plus a few other things that have decided my time table.

I am still hoping for a great time though.

May I ask how Liberty State Park rates if indeed you have any info on the place.

All the best

Hello Sleeper,

I have never gone bird watching on mainland America.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Hi Sleeper,

Liberty State Park is big, over 1000 acres of mostly saltmarsh and open fields, very good for shorebirds and waterfowl. Rated 2 star( best is 3 star) for spring and fall migration as well as winter (because of visiting owls), but not for nesting birds.
Easily accessible by ferry from Manhattan, reasonably safe, although much less so than Central Park, now the safest precinct in NYC.
Call New Jersey Audubon for more details 908 204 8998

Hope this helps.

Hi etudiant

Thank you for that info. I am staying at Weehawken so I am hoping to have chance to visit Liberty State Park and I thought it would give an alternative view of the Lady and Manhattan in general.

Rally looking forward to the trip. Thanks again.

Red Tailed Hawk

After a barren few weeks since migration petered out, there's been nothing to report, until just a few moments ago when a Red Tailed Hawk spiralled westwards, about 150 feet over the rooftops of 11th Street, pursued by an American Robin. Other than that, it's all House Sparrows and the (very) occasional Blue Jay.

Hello Baglee,

Good bird! Red tails are hardly common over Greenwich Village.

Nothing but house sparrows, American Robins and starling, at my window. With a current temperature of 34ºC, I am not going out to find any other birds.

Happy bird watching,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back