• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unpleasant Birder (1 Viewer)

CliveP

Just thought i would ask here but I met a guy the other day who was probably the most unpleasnt birder I have ever encountered.

From the moment I first saw him and the scowl on his face I should have known but he approached me to ask what I had seen and so I tried to be friendly but then he proceeded to be very condescending and it basically just deteriorated to the point where he really had me pretty pee'd off.

Its not the first time this has happened so I wanted to ask in a general kind of thread what other experiences people have had which are kind of similar.

I will be asking around to find out if this guy is known and probably will mention it to the warden when I next meet.

What bothered me is that I go out to enjoy my day and hopefully meet people who also are enjoying being out and enjoying the scenery and wildlfe and outdoors in some of our great reserves but it really dismays me when I meet someone like this.

Why are some people perhaps its only "serious" birders with their Swaro everything (it was Swaro in this case but I don't blame the equipment, yes you if you're reading and you're welcome to respond) so odd and basically weird and quite unsociable. I've never met a non-birder while out and about who was like this. Sadly a few of these oddballs are to many in my opinion.

I should also point out that mostly I do meet good people but there is a reason why I normally find that its best just to do my own thing and I think its a pity. It seems strange for a hobby such as this.

I guess you have to appreciate that birding to some folk is a competitive business, so the only reason they approach others is to solicit information to save them time and effort.

I often record sound at birding sites, so tend to be Mr antisocial in not wanting to be near other birders. They are often the most noisy and uncaring bunch, who quite happily stand up and disturb others in hides once they have seen what they want.

While such folk are still rare, I suppose it's just like everyday life.. some people will wave you out at a road junction, while others will cut you up and nearly create an accident because they're ignorant and out for themselves.

Don't let it upset your day Clive; after all, they are the ones that will go home grumpy and unloved!

Andy West Midlands

Just thought i would ask here but I met a guy the other day who was probably the most unpleasnt birder I have ever encountered.

I should also point out that mostly I do meet good people but there is a reason why I normally find that its best just to do my own thing and I think its a pity. It seems strange for a hobby such as this.

Cheers Andy. I think you've got it spot on.

I suppose there are worse things in the world. I will be on my guard in future although of course I would prefer this not to be necessary. Maybe I'll just say no, I haven't seen anything, please go away but then that would make me one of them.

Coincedentally the car drivers seemed really bad on that day also eg guy overtook me on the outside of a blind bend and another one comming towards me seemed to be going to run over some kids on bikes because he didn't want to slow down to wait until I had passed the other way. Then the usual tailgaters etc.

Maybe the moon was affecting things more than usual?

Hey Clive

Nice meeting you the other day down the towpath.

Can you tell me again the place where you bought those bins?

And the exact make and model again - thinking of getting some soon!

:)

Hey Clive

Nice meeting you the other day down the towpath.

Can you tell me again the place where you bought those bins?

And the exact make and model again - thinking of getting some soon!

:)

Hi Alister

Go get'em here link below then 2nd row from bottom Hawke Frontier 10x32 Phase coated £79 or you could try the 8x beside them if you wanted a wider view and maybe better colour. I did hear of some-one who wasn't happy with their pair. Said they didn't work correctly but mine are fine as you saw. Think you'll get that starling shot once they have young as they keep cleaning the nest of poo and flying in and out with little parcels.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Category/505/binoculars/

These competitive bird watchers are silly IMO. This idea of finding satisfaction in having more knowledge and better equipment than others while being competitive, unopen/unfriendly and unsharing, goes against progress (raising consciousness for conservation and understanding of birds). That man sounds like a straight up snob. I would like to think that we are a community of pleasant people who share this common interest joyfully with the goal of conservation and admiration of birds and nature. It's just weird to be all competitive (with one another) about watching birds. Do you think this competitive attitude is more common with men? I haven't come accross any condescending people yet, but then again I mostly bird watch alone. However, I would like to meet more nice people with this same hobby and have a friend or two to go out and experience the joy together.

Last edited:
Do you think this competitive attitude is more common with men?

Definitely, particularly as regards equipment. Note, for example, the incessant wrangling in the optics forums--which are very heavily male dominated--about who owns the best binoculars. Competitive listing is also very much a male sport (with the occasional exception of course).

Definitely, particularly as regards equipment. Note, for example, the incessant wrangling in the optics forums--which are very heavily male dominated--about who owns the best binoculars. Competitive listing is also very much a male sport (with the occasional exception of course).

Sorry I have to disagree with the part about the binoculars. The incessant wrangling is not about who owns the best binoculars but about which are the best binoculars, a big difference imo.

As regards the unpleasent birder there are gobsh***s in every walk of life but there are also some very friendly people. Last week a friend and I went around Strangford lough and we came across a very nice birder who pointed us towards the rough legged Buzzard. A non birder came over to us aswell and was very interested in the bird. A totally excellent day with very friendly people all round.

Cheers,

Ger.

The incessant wrangling is not about who owns the best binoculars but about which are the best binoculars, a big difference imo..

In theory, yes, of course, nobody actually comes out & says that "my binoculars are better than yours just because I happen to own them", but in practice that what much of the wrangling boils down to. This is particularly true of the numerous threads comparing the alphas between which there's generally not a whole lot to choose. I don't claim there's any great harm in this, by the way, though as a non-participant I soon get bored with it.

Mr antisocial in not wanting to be near other birders.

Hey, I can certainly relate to this.

We had a large crowd of Walkers in the pub last night & Jeeez :C they were probably the noisiest bunch I've ever heard, so I just can't imagine them seeing much on a days walk.
I can just picture them organising their trip, saying things like, "Let's get away from all the hustle & bustle & noise" ... but folks like them just take it all with them! |:(|

Of course, I don't imagine for one moment, that any of them are birders, but it just reminded me why I always avoid other people like the plague, when I'm out on the hill, or forest.

Call me Mr antisocial if you like, but inane chatter, I can do without, thank you! |;|

Cheers,
Dick

From the moment I first saw him and the scowl on his face I should have known but he approached me to ask what I had seen and so I tried to be friendly but then he proceeded to be very condescending and it basically just deteriorated to the point where he really had me pretty pee'd off.

Its not the first time this has happened so I wanted to ask in a general kind of thread what other experiences people have had which are kind of similar.

I will be asking around to find out if this guy is known and probably will mention it to the warden when I next meet.

What bothered me is that I go out to enjoy my day and hopefully meet people who also are enjoying being out and enjoying the scenery and wildlfe and outdoors in some of our great reserves but it really dismays me when I meet someone like this.

Why are some people perhaps its only "serious" birders with their Swaro everything (it was Swaro in this case but I don't blame the equipment, yes you if you're reading and you're welcome to respond) so odd and basically weird and quite unsociable. I've never met a non-birder while out and about who was like this. Sadly a few of these oddballs are to many in my opinion.

Hi Clive

Dont let ********s like this get you down or ruin your day. They really arent worth it. Just remember birdwatching is like everything else in life - they'res miserable gits working in shops, wandering down the highstreet, living next door to us etc etc.

Next time you see him be as pleasant as you can, it'll probably make him even more grumpy :-O

I've met this sort of birder.
As in any walk of life there are the good the bad and the ugly.
You are more likely to meet this type when you are out twitching.
I guess if you have travelled 200 miles to see a bird you are likely to be over anxious and tired after a stressful journey.Hence the abruptness and lack of politeness in a few cases.
I seldom go twitching prefering to find my rare birds abroad.I go to a different continent once or twice a year and see all the rarer birds for fun.So I am then not inclined to travel to ridiculous lengths to see a bird I have seen from my hotel balcony.
Luckily I live in Cumbria on the border of Morecambe Bay where there are a surprising number of birdwatching sites where you see few people never mind birdwatchers.
I'm quite happy to see birds in their natural habitats in season.
I count myself fortunate that I can afford to go abroad and come home to all year round birdwatching close to where I live.

Try going to aguamolls on a weekend! Whilst it was great to watch lots of families and it brings much needed cash for the reserve it was unbelievable for 'serious' birders.

The noise the shouting the banging of doors running around etc. that said it was brill to see smiling faces and laughing and joking!

At least the info on the site says dont go at weekends and the birdwatchers were friendly and willing to share info....

These competitive bird watchers are silly IMO. This idea of finding satisfaction in having more knowledge and better equipment than others while being competitive, unopen/unfriendly and unsharing, goes against progress (raising consciousness for conservation and understanding of birds). That man sounds like a straight up snob. I would like to think that we are a community of pleasant people who share this common interest joyfully with the goal of conservation and admiration of birds and nature. It's just weird to be all competitive (with one another) about watching birds. Do you think this competitive attitude is more common with men? I haven't come accross any condescending people yet, but then again I mostly bird watch alone. However, I would like to meet more nice people with this same hobby and have a friend or two to go out and experience the joy together.

agreed with everything ANNABETH says and to answer your question - Yes, i think it is only in men (if they can be called men that is ;) )

I've met this sort of birder.
As in any walk of life there are the good the bad and the ugly.
You are more likely to meet this type when you are out twitching.
I guess if you have travelled 200 miles to see a bird you are likely to be over anxious and tired after a stressful journey.Hence the abruptness and lack of politeness in a few cases.
I seldom go twitching prefering to find my rare birds abroad.I go to a different continent once or twice a year and see all the rarer birds for fun.So I am then not inclined to travel to ridiculous lengths to see a bird I have seen from my hotel balcony.
Luckily I live in Cumbria on the border of Morecambe Bay where there are a surprising number of birdwatching sites where you see few people never mind birdwatchers.
I'm quite happy to see birds in their natural habitats in season.
I count myself fortunate that I can afford to go abroad and come home to all year round birdwatching close to where I live.

i like this. The only thing i'll say though is if twitchers get anxious and tired after a stressful journey then maybe they need to develop your outlook.

Old thread, but just came across it, and it gives me a place to vent!

Last fall my wife, my mother and I were visiting the town where my mother grew up and went in search of a ladder-backed woodpecker, known to occasionally haunt a nearby bog. After an hour in the car, we were only 5 minutes down the trail when it flew in and perched at eye level only 20 feet away, giving obviously great views. We were very happy, as we had failed on previous attempts. On our hike out, we met a birder on his way in, and I asked if we was there looking for a ladder-backed. When he said yes, my mother told him that we had seen one just down the trail.

With much condescention, he told my mother that she was wrong because he had been told they were found further down the trail, and he had looked multiple times and had never seen one. My mother very politely said she was pretty sure it was a ladder-backed, but he just said, no, it must have been a Hairy, and that a lot of birders get them confused. He then headed down the path, and we stood there with our mouths open.

I couldn't believe his attitude. Maybe he had a problem hearing that his bird had been seen by a little old lady who might not have fit his definition of what a birder should look like. I wanted to follow him down the path and tell him that that little old lady has a life list of close to 2000 birds and knows her birds, and he could take his Hairy Woodpecker and stick it. I didn't.

Even if he hadn't believed us, which he obviously didn't, why would he feel compelled to tell us we were wrong? Even if he was world class birder, at the very least it would have been an opportunity to discuss a difficult bird sighting, what to look for, etc. I think, as Clive said originally, he was just an unpleasant birder.

Just let it go!, these people don't really matter, don't let them get under your skin, there are some really nice people out there as well, as I'm sure you are.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back