• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic GX1 (1 Viewer)

Gordon

I've just got myself the Panasonic GX1 with LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S.

Macro mode seems to be the most recommended method for use with compact cameras so I thought that might also apply to this camera. However, macro mode is only available as a preset or using Intelligent Auto on the GX1 - thereby eliminating other options such as setting aperture priority.

What settings do micro four thirds users apply when digiscoping?

By the way I will be connecting the camera to a Swarovski ATS 65ED using the DCB11.

thanks in advance
Gordon

The power zoom seems to work well for digiscoping, it is slightly soft at the long end but below that the results look good (I'm using one on a GF5). I tend to use mine in A and with continuous shooting activated. What eyepiece will you be using? I use mine with a 30x and vingetting only occurs upto about 18mm so you have a good usable range.

Hi Postcardcv,
I should have said that I have the 25-50x zoom. Used at 25x there's no vignetting - at less than full zoom on the camera lens but can't say how much less than full.

Was out trying my hand earlier on but results were poor. That was due to only finding subjects (Mallard, Moorhen, and gulls) that were at least 80m distant with very flat light, which meant the autofocus was never going to have an easy time, and still figuring out how to work the camera.

Also, the self-timer isn't much help with a 2 second delay (my wee Canon Ixus 300HS has a configurable self-timer - eg, 1 second and take x number of shots). I've remedied that by ordering a remote release.

Although the shots I took were poor I can see the potential. Need to practice!

I have to say I was a bit disappointed when I seen some comparative shots, taken at the long end, of the GX Vario and the other 14-42. The GX was much softer. But, its the one I needed for use with the DCB11.

thanks for your reply.

cheers
Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back