• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Circling Woodpigeons (1 Viewer)

mathare

There are quite a lot of Woodpigeons in the area where I live, work & bird (SW London/Surrey borders). Often - especially in the evenings it seems - I see groups of maybe 20-30 Woodpigeons flying round in circles. OK, maybe not in circles per se but flying around in a manner that sees them going round in loops rather than just flying from A to B. The thing is these circles seem to be anti-clockwise (counter-clockwise) most of the time. I haven't really kept count but it seems like 80%+ of the time they go round in an anti-(counter-)clockwise direction.

Does anyone know why this would be?

I did have a thought on the way back from work the other day when I saw this happening. I remember reading racing pigeons have something in their brain that enables them to use magnetic fields to help their navigation. Could it be that Woodpigeons are somehow using magnetic fields and as a result seem to circle anti-clockwise more than clockwise?

There are quite a lot of Woodpigeons in the area where I live, work & bird (SW London/Surrey borders). Often - especially in the evenings it seems - I see groups of maybe 20-30 Woodpigeons flying round in circles. OK, maybe not in circles per se but flying around in a manner that sees them going round in loops rather than just flying from A to B. The thing is these circles seem to be anti-clockwise (counter-clockwise) most of the time. I haven't really kept count but it seems like 80%+ of the time they go round in an anti-(counter-)clockwise direction.

Does anyone know why this would be?

I did have a thought on the way back from work the other day when I saw this happening. I remember reading racing pigeons have something in their brain that enables them to use magnetic fields to help their navigation. Could it be that Woodpigeons are somehow using magnetic fields and as a result seem to circle anti-clockwise more than clockwise?

It sounds like the pigeons are coming in to roost. Birds land into the wind, so the anti-clockwise circling is probably an effort to facilitate this.

Could be! Why didn't I think of roosting? Next time I see the behaviour I will try to note wind direction and see if that is a factor.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back