• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fair Isle (1 Viewer)

davercox

Dave Cox
Supporter
Interesting programme (first of two I believe) on the Beeb.

Deryk & Hollie had starring roles but, despite a few pics, there was little or nothing about the Obs; maybe in part 2 ?

Interesting programme (first of two I believe) on the Beeb.

Deryk & Hollie had starring roles but, despite a few pics, there was little or nothing about the Obs; maybe in part 2 ?

Given that the presence of the Obs is a significant (or arguably the only) reason why the island is still inhabited at all I was surprised how little it featured in the programme. I suspect part II will be no better since it doesn't fit the narrative of 'plucky little islanders persisting against the odds' all by themselves.

Admittedly I haven't been well lately but I fell asleep during this programme and couldn't even tell you at what point. I've never been to Fair Isle so I'd been looking forward to it but it was sooooooo boring.

John

Part 2 features a few minutes if the Obs, some petrel ringing, some birders running around on a twitch and a couple of birder interviews, including myself but the programme again doesn't feature much of the Obs or birding unfortunately

OK, I too would like to see an in-depth programme about the Obs and birding on Fair Isle - but that's not what this programme was about. To coin a phrase "it does what it says on the tin" and I for one found it interesting - but then I know people who live there and it was good to see them on the telly and find out a little about their life there.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back