• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A nice weekend at Hocking Hills (1 Viewer)

weather

Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow
Hey all,

The missus and I took off for Hocking Hills in Southern Ohio for an overnight birding get-a-way. Unfortunately, the place was so beautiful with so much to see, we didn't do as much birding as we would have hoped, but still, it wasn't bad.

We started at Cedar Falls. Is there anything more exhilarating than seeing a natural waterfall in the middle of no where? We had to climb about 700 feet just to get to the bottom of the falls. The top of the falls was another 90 feet up these moss covered old stone stairs. The view was amazing. Because of the falls and being in a valley, it's always moist and cool, so the plants seemed extra huge. I felt like I was on the set of Jurassic Park. We were surrounded by a 90 foot wall of sandstone. All potmarked and covered with lichen. We discovered why they call them Rock Pigeons. All along one wall, there most have been 20 or 30 nests with fledglings. To see this species in a natural setting instead of the city, makes you appreciate them a little more. There were also Tree and Northern Rough-winged swallows flying all about. (Glorious) After are long decent back down, we noticed a small flock of Louisiana Waterthrush by a small stream. A Hermit Thrush darted to the stream to get a quick drink too. Also noticed several American Robin and an Ovenbird.

Next we took a long scenic drive through the most fantastic countryside that I've seen. I've been on winding roads before, but this was nuts. We ended up at Old man's cave and Ash cave. I most confess that I was so swept-up in the natural surroundings, that I completely stopped birding. (Please forgive me).

The next day we decided to focus again on birding. We headed for Slat Run where they have a small marsh. The heat was unbearable. We came to a small deck and watched in the shade if anything was stirring. Across the pond there was a Red-breasted Merganser sitting on a log. Seeing these birds off shore on Lake Erie, made me suspicious about the ID. Common sense tells you they wouldn't be in a pond, especially this time of year, but it's the only one in my field guide that fits. I'll try to post a pic of it later in the ID thread. We also saw American Goldfinch, Red-winged Blackbird, Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Killdeer, and an Eastern Kingbird.

We had better luck at Clear Creek. I never saw a creek there, so I can't tell you how clear it was. Started at the feeder they had out by a small shelter. We startled a Red-Tailed Hawk that flew out of sight. An Eastern Towhee was first at the feeder. Followed by it's mate. Next came a Northern Cardinal. I got a nice shot of the three eating next to each other. A male Indigo Bunting came to chase insects in the bush next to us, along with a female Scarlet Tanager...Back at the feeder we had Chipping Sparrow, Tufted Titmouse, and a Mourning Dove. A Great-blue Heron flew overhead and on the ground, 20 - 30 American Robins. It was then I realized how quite and still it was. We were all alone in the middle of a National forest. What we did next would probably be better off on a different forum.

Mike

:bounce:

Last edited:
Give a listen to Aaron Copeland's Appalachian Spring to see if you can hear what you saw.
Sam

Last edited:
Mike, what a great report!

I've heard a lot of things, in passing, about Hocking Hills, and what a wonderful place it is. This is the most detail I've encountered. Didn't realize, however, that it's part of a national forest -- interesting. Guess I"ll have to try planning a trip there someday -- I think it's about 4 hours from me, mebbe a little further.

One last question, for both you and Sam: what about Larry??? Will he replace Rumsfeld, mebbe??? LOL!

Beverlybaynes said:
Mike, what a great report!

I've heard a lot of things, in passing, about Hocking Hills, and what a wonderful place it is. This is the most detail I've encountered. Didn't realize, however, that it's part of a national forest -- interesting. Guess I"ll have to try planning a trip there someday -- I think it's about 4 hours from me, mebbe a little further.

One last question, for both you and Sam: what about Larry??? Will he replace Rumsfeld, mebbe??? LOL!

If you go, be prepared to stay the night. There is just so much to see. Also, there is a lot of hiking and climbing to get to some of the best natural features. We were in a lot of pain the next day....

Try this: http://www.hockinghills.com/

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back