• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian Returns To Staffs! (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
17-07-03

To start off a long weekend visit to a my eldest brother in Staffordshire we stopped off at Slimbridge, a Bittern had been reported the previous week and I was hopeful. On the way in to the reserve I started the weekend count with a Stock Dove near some of the buildings before the canal crossing. During a cup of tea and a spot of lunch before entering the reserve I added Carrion Crow, Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Mallard, Common Moorhen, Common Blackbird and House Martin.

Once in the reserve we decided to do each hide from the east to the west in order. The first productive hide was the Martin Smith Hide with a few Black-headed Gull and some Greylag Geese. The next hide was a lot better, the Robbie Garnett Hide provided some summer plumaged Black Tailed Godwits, a few Northern Lapwing, two or three Eurasian Teal, a Common Shelduck, three Northern Shoveler, a single Eurasian Oystercatcher and one young Ruff.

On the way to Knott Hide I added a House Sparrow and the hide overlooked a shallow pond with an island and here we studied three of seven Green Sandpipers milling around. It was when we were in the top level of the Holden Tower hide we saw all seven Green Sandpipers on the pond along with three Pied Wagtails, a Robin, a male Blackcap, a few Canada Geese and a couple of Mute Swans. I can not picture the birds except the Wagtails from the Holden Tower hide but they were written into my notebook. From the Decoy Pond I clocked a Grey Heron and some Eurasian Coots.

The next stop was the South Lake Hide and along the way the additions were some Western Jackdaws, a few Feral Pigeons and many Barn Swallows. South Lake offered up lots of birds and it took a while to sift through them all to find some specials including some Tufted Ducks with a family of ducklings, a Little Grebe, a single Common Goldeneye, and many Common Redshanks. Among the Redshanks was another Ruff. Other additions to the tally were some Great Cormorants, a single Lesser Black Backed Gull, and a few Collared Doves as we left the hide. I noticed a few large Carp surfacing during my scans of the lake.

We visited all the hides of the South Finger, the reed bed of the Zeiss Hide was scrutinized very hard for the Bittern but it could not be found at all so it is most likely it had moved on elsewhere.

The furthest hide, the Jack De’ath Hide provided the last additions for the day which were one Winter Wren, a much appreciated Common Kingfisher, a couple of European Greenfinches, a Blue Tit, and some Rooks. It had been a very good visit and stop on the journey. With it being a quiet season for birding we had all but the first two hides to ourselves all day.

18-07-03
Location : Belvide Reservoir & Blithfield Reservoir, Staffordshire. SJ870099 & SK055235

It was a gloriously sunny day so we headed to Belvide Reservoir first where the main target was a Tree Sparrow or two. Before we set off there was a Song Thrush added to the list out of many birds around the bird table I built for my brother. Belvide was a mud bath on my last visit in January and I wondered what it would look like now in July.

The car park did not yield a Tree Sparrow on the peanut feeder but whilst booting up I glimpsed a small male Eurasian Sparrowhawk heading over the woods towards the reservoir. Walking through the woods I was delighted to see a Spotted Flycatcher inches next to an Eurasian Treecreeper with cameo appearances by a pair of Dunnock and some Long Tailed Tits.

As soon as we could see the banks of the reservoir I could see a Common Sandpiper on the dam end. From the well built Scott Hide there were good views of one of many Ruddy Ducks, some Great Crested Grebes, a few passing Common Terns and a couple of Reed Warblers. The best of the other birds seen from here were a Grey Heron, some Northern Lapwings and many Tufted Ducks.

On the beautiful and green path to the next hide along the south bank of the reservoir I added European Goldfinch and marvelled at the many butterflies and dragonflies along the rich vegetation such as several Gatekeepers, quite a few Commas, Tortoiseshells and some Large Whites with many others too.

The name of the second of the three hides escapes me but it was another well built affair with a few feeding stations in front and it was here that I had the best chance of a Tree Sparrow. I could see a few Sedge Warblers singing out loud in the small bushes in front of us along with some Common Whitethroats. Quite a few birds came to the feeders and bird table including Dunnocks, Blue Tits, a Chaffinch, a Great Spotted Woodpecker and a couple of Great Tits. A young Chiffchaff surprised us and another birder by perching on the open hide window watching us. Scanning the flocks of wildfowl I managed to include a Common Pochard, and a flock of Common Starlings passed by. Sadly no Tree Sparrows showed.

We moved onto the Bryant Hide which is the most westerly hide on the reserve. There were two birders here and we shared many birds including a Great Black Backed Gull, a pair of Dunlin, three Common Redshanks, some Common Sandpipers, three Little Grebes and a pair of Ruddy Ducks.

I was scanning the roosting gulls on the far side and casually mentioned there were two young Sandwich Terns there. My nonchalant attitude was a result of seeing them regularly back home on the River Exe little knowing they were not common here. The two birders became quite excited by the birds and found them in my scope then theirs. One of them said in twenty five years of birding at Belvide he had not seen any and they were his two hundred and first bird for this reservoir.

I was given a lot of help and advice about other spots in the area and steered towards the far western edge of the reservoir for my first ever Little Ringed Plovers. When I got there all I could see were a few Ringed Plovers and had to look harder to see the three Little Ringed Plovers which are more inconspicuous than the Ringed Plovers. I was really glad to finally get a lifer out of this weekend trip and this compensated for the lack of Tree Sparrows. There were also some Grey Wagtails around the Plovers.

On the way back we called into the middle hide for another vigil for a Tree Sparrow with no luck but did have the fortune to see a pair of Grasshopper Warblers flitting in and out of a bush to feed a nest of young. We were tipped off on these by the birder earlier too which shows helping others does reward you. Apparently this pair was raising a second brood.

Walking back through the woods I added a Wood Warbler along with a Goldcrest to the list and a Common Kestrel was extremely high over the car park. The supporting cast for this place were Carrion Crow, Pied Wagtail, Feral Pigeon, Blackcap, Winter Wren, Common House Martin, Wood Pigeon, Blue Tit and Mute Swan. On the narrow road leading away to the main A5 road I added Common Magpie to push the trip list to seventy birds.

It was now time to head over to Blithfield Reservoir picking up some lunch on the way. We were given good directions to the birding spot by the second birder at Belvide and easily found the hide at the base of a field. There are two good spots here called Tad Bay and Blithe Bay, I do not know which one we were looking at but it was stuffed with birds. On the way down some Reed Buntings passed over.

The hide was a simple shack with windows and high seats. I added just a few birds to the slowly building collection which were two Common Greenshanks and a young Mediterranean Gull. I thought I had an Arctic Tern but after a lot of cross checking between the bird and the Collins it was simply a Common Gull with no black tip on the bill. It did present a bit of a headache though along with a ‘Wood Sandpiper’ that turned out to be one of the two Greenshanks. It is the distance that makes lone birds hard to identify sometimes.

There was a great assortment of other birds including a staggering seventeen Ruddy Ducks and over one hundred Great Crested Grebes. The rest of the birds were already on my list but included many waders, wildfowl and some more Little Ringed Plovers. There was a solitary Common Swift in the air as we got back to the car and on the return home we furthered the tally with a Common Pheasant and an Eurasian Jay when we stopped next to some fishing ponds in Cannock Chase.

Last edited:
Part Two

20-07-03

Yesterday we went to Aqualate Mere near Newport only to find it was only accessible by foot but called in to Weston Park and got a Common Buzzard. Today we were going to investigate Chasewater. It is a good winter birding spot with many unusual Gulls coming to roost. I did not expect to add any birds to the trip total and this was the case.

We walked round to Brownhills West Station and boarded a Diesel Train after a spot of lunch to Norton Lakeside to explore Jeffrey’s Swag. This is the top section of the huge lake cut off by a causeway which meant boat disturbance does not occur here. There was nothing special to be seen here except for some Little Grebes and their young chicks. However, there were many birds present. We got back on the train to the last stop at Chasewater Heaths and walked back to the car park down the east bank.

The complete list of birds seen here were Mallard, Eurasian Coot, Ruddy Duck, Herring Gull, Black-headed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebe, Canada Goose, Grey Heron, Common Magpie, Common House Martin, Tufted Duck, Barn Swallow, Common Moorhen, Common Swift, Herring Gull, Song Thrush and Common Tern.

21-07-03

Unfortunately like all things our trip had to come to an end but on the drive back south we decided to stop off at Barrow Gurney Reservoirs just south of Bristol. The reason was there had been an Ring-necked Duck reported there in the previous days.

The southernmost of the three reservoirs provided very few birds and it was when we reached the middle one, tank number two, we saw lots of water birds much to our delight. In the south eastern corner were nine Common Sandpipers accompanied by some Pied and Grey Wagtails.

The mixed flock of water birds was large. With so many Tufted Ducks present it was going to be a challenge to spot a Ring-necked Duck. Sifting through the birds with the scope drew a blank from the south bank.

We walked round to the east side to look at them from a different angle and after three scans of each bird I finally found the eclipse plumaged drake Ring-necked Duck and became so happy as it was a lifer for me. As soon as I saw the bird there was no mistaking it’s identity with the whiteness on the face at the base of the bill and the peak at the rear of the head. It was hard to see whether the bill was tipped black but it did seem to progress from a gunmetal shade to a black. There was no obvious demarcation. This was a moment to remember as one of the best early birds on my life list. They may not be very rare but they have been hard to see so far.

Two Common Linnets flew over followed by a pair of Green Woodpeckers fluttering away as we walked back to the car in a steadily building monsoon. The rest of the birds found here were European Goldfinch, Eurasian Coot, Mallard, Black-headed Gull, Common Pochard, Great Crested Grebe, Mute Swan, Grey Heron, Carrion Crow, Great Cormorant, Common Swift and Lesser Black-backed Gull. We had planned to stop off at Blagdon Lake but the rain was so much we could not drive well and decided to call it off and head straight home. It had been a great little trip with two lifers and a total of eighty one birds.

Last edited:
Sounds Like you enjoyed your time at the midlands reservoirs Andrew. I hope you did. As you found out, some very interesting birds can be seen.I used to visit Belvide every week without fail,but not so much now. I cannot match the 201 birds,my own Belvide list only stands at 121. That surely gives me a good reason to return to my old haunt. All the best. Cheers John.B :) B :)

Nice one Andrew, as usual ! ... Just one question ... ''3 x Northern Shoveler'' ... is that the full name for what's often called simply Shoveler ( Anas clypeata ) ?

Thanks for the comments and yes I did enjoy it.

John N, Belvide is a real gem on a par with Dawlish Warren and Bowling Green.

Carlos, yes it is the Shoveler. I use full names for the benefit of international reading.

Ian F, you ought to do the area sometime. A word of advice, I was told September or October is good for Tree Sparrow and all the places produce great gulls in winter. I got Iceland Gull at Belvide last January. There is a report on that somewhere in the Forums.

Very enjoyable report Andrew.
I was at Slimbridge a week before your trip and had a similar list,but not quite as good as yours.
The Green Sandpipers interested me,as I saw 3 or 4 from the Stephen Kirk Hide,but was particularly looking for the reported Wood Sandpipers.
I later walked along the edge of the field beyond the Holden Tower and down to the Estuary(several Linnet)and on the way back met a well-equipped Female birder,who assured me there were 3 Wood S.P's viewable from the S.K.Hide.When I got back,no Sandpipers at all,so who knows?

I looked for Wood Sands too with no luck but the pond next to the Holden Tower was full of Green Sands. I wonder if you have been to the Holden Tower before, it was interesting to watch the pond from the other hide and then go up to the top level of the Holden and see twice as many birds you could see from the other!

The huge bins in the Holden Tower had me feeling like I was expected to give the order to FIRE!

I walked out to the gate to look out the estuary but the sign saying no access put doubts in my head so I decided not to. It was a bit windy anyway.

Hi Andrew

Sounds like you had a good weekend visiting some of my favourite reserves.

The middle hide at Belvide is called the Gazebo Hide. It was erected in 1954 and the walls were originally made of straw and held breeding Tree and House Sparrows.

--
Andy

Andy,

That is interesting and thanks for pointing out the name of the hide. Can you tell me whether I was looking out to Tad bay or Blithe Bay at Blithfield?

Andrew said:
Carlos, yes it is the Shoveler. I use full names for the benefit of international reading.

I never knew it was called that. Thanks.

I wonder how many other shortened names are in my id book.

In fact I had only a brief visit to the Holden Tower,as my time was running out.
The sign when I was there said 'Access for Members Only',which I took to mean WWT members,of which I am one.The estuary was well worth a look;there is an old Van there which I assumed is used in bad /winter weather for viewing purposes.

I could see many birds on the estuary and wished I could see what they were so I could increase my tally as I could probably have got a Little Egret at least.

Hi Andrew

It looks to me as though your photo is of Tad Bay which is in the NE corner of the reservoir. Blithe Bay is in the NW corner and is the one with the River Blithe running into it.

--
Andy

Hi Andrew, I enjoyed reading your report, Slimbridge is one of the places I would love to visit. I was very interested to read that there are so many hides in these reserves and also, reading through various people's trip reports, there seem to be so many reserves in Britain, such a wonderful facility. We had one hide at our water purification works built by the local bird club, but the building materials proved too tempting for those in need and it was dismantled and taken away piece by piece. Your weekend yielded a great tally of birds.

Andrew,I didn't see Little Egret on the estuary,but you would have been able to add Curlew to your list.
Looking at the map I see there are 16 hides in total,which is probably a record!

Andy, many thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I walked through the woods to Blithe Bay at first but saw a fishing hut so turned back.

Sal, we are blessed with so many reserves and comfortable hides. It might surprise you to learn the main tower in the centre even has a mechanised lift! If you plan to visit Slimbridge do it in Winter.

Grousemore, yes it must be a record but I suspect there may be a reserve or two in Norfolk that will beat this. Do you know if this is the case or not? Actually I think you could say there are 17 hides if you include the tower lookout in the main visitor centre.

Last edited:
I don't know of any with more hides and I've been to most of them in NorfolkThere are 7 at WWT London,including the observation deck in the Visitor's Centre.
So 17 at Slimbridge to beat for those into Trivia Quizzes!!

Grousemore,
The "old van" on the estuary at Slimbridge is an old ambulance which has been camouflaged and is used in bad weather. It is not used in winter and is removed for two reasons. One, with the high spring and autumn tides it would get at least flooded out and possibly washed away and secondly, the walkway is closed from about late September and there is no access for the public because of the arrival of wintering birds especially the White-fronted Geese and Bewick's Swans and associated disturbance. The re-opening time in the spring is dependent on the progess or otherwise of breeding waders.

Thanks for the clarification,Colin.
Your website is very informative and I wished I'd known about it prior to my trip to that area.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back