• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problems with Zeiss Lotutec coating... (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

If you remember this post:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=257109

Sadly, I have an update: after the 2013 repair, marks started to appear again. I cleaned them so carefully every time that I cannot believe it.

I sent my binoculars to Zeiss, but no warranty this time. The bins are 9 years old and the 10 years warranty does not cover it, they say (also they said to me in 2013 they did a goodwill act :C).

So... I'm very disappointed with the brand. Also surprisingly they indicate me this time specific instructions for cleaning Lotutec coatings. Must be very fragile and delicate.

Take care on the new HT's and SF's (also Lotutec coating)

When I bought them I thought they were for lifetime, bad luck, will try other brands, thinking about Kite or Vortex (no more german glasses please...)

Sadly, I have an update: after the 2013 repair, marks started to appear again. I cleaned them so carefully every time that I cannot believe it.

I sent my binoculars to Zeiss, but no warranty this time. The bins are 9 years old and the 10 years warranty does not cover it, they say (also they said to me in 2013 they did a goodwill act :C).

So... I'm very disappointed with the brand. Also surprisingly they indicate me this time specific instructions for cleaning Lotutec coatings. Must be very fragile and delicate.

When I bought them I thought they were for lifetime, bad luck, will try other brands, thinking about Kite or Vortex (no more german glasses please...)

Just curious,

Was it on the inside or on the outside?

This must be very disappointing for you and also very puzzling for those of us who have have used bins and spectacles with the Lotutec coating for years and have never seen anything like this.

How did the cleaning instructions from Zeiss differ from what you do?

Lee

This must be very disappointing for you and also very puzzling for those of us who have have used bins and spectacles with the Lotutec coating for years and have never seen anything like this.

How did the cleaning instructions from Zeiss differ from what you do?

Lee

In nothing. I blow first. I suppose could be because of the dryer and sandy weather of my country...

I copy their instructions (could be useful for someone):

The LotuTec effect on the outer surface of the
lenses of our products is achieved through
a very smooth, dirt-repellent coating. This
makes it more difficult for dirt particles and
moisture to adhere. Therefore, the following
should be taken into account when cleaning
these surfaces. Lens surfaces should be
pre-cleaned with air or a brush before they are
cleaned. This is the most effective way to remove
larger bits of dirt (e.g. sand). You can then
breathe on the surface and clean it with a clean
optical cleansing cloth. If any tiny dirt
particles are rubbed over the surface with the
cleaning cloth, it will result in minute scratches
in the LotuTec coating, which can impair the
protective coating

I wonder what percentage of the Lotu Tec lenses produced have developed this anomaly, a fraction, or a statistically meaningful number ?

I haven't heard of this on any internet site before and people are quite ready to post complaints these days.

On the original pics the marks on the lenses appeared to be in a swirling pattern as if they might have been caused by rubbing during cleaning. The OP says he is very careful and blows on the lenses before wiping but in a sandy place like some parts of Spain a brush would be a good idea.

Since Zeiss fixed the original problem on a 'goodwill' basis but will not do so a second time suggests that they have concluded that the problem was caused by the OP.

Lotu-Tec has been in use for many years now and if there had been a problem with it one would think we would have heard of it by now, and while a problem with a 'rogue' batch is not impossible from any manufacturer, the fact that the problem has occurred again with the replacement lenses suggests this was not the cause.

In this case I am inclined to think that the OP's cleaning method is to blame.

Lee

I haven't heard of this on any internet site before and people are quite ready to post complaints these days.

On the original pics the marks on the lenses appeared to be in a swirling pattern as if they might have been caused by rubbing during cleaning. The OP says he is very careful and blows on the lenses before wiping but in a sandy place like some parts of Spain a brush would be a good idea.

Since Zeiss fixed the original problem on a 'goodwill' basis but will not do so a second time suggests that they have concluded that the problem was caused by the OP.

Lotu-Tec has been in use for many years now and if there had been a problem with it one would think we would have heard of it by now, and while a problem with a 'rogue' batch is not impossible from any manufacturer, the fact that the problem has occurred again with the replacement lenses suggests this was not the cause.

Lee

So would I Lee

Lee
Then why my 8 years old Nikon and 24 years old Olympus are perfect? And I clean them exactly the same way.. blowing first always.

Enviado desde mi LG-E430 mediante Tapatalk

I don't know.
But I got a classic Zeiss Dialyt, used to say the least, and the eyepieces are completely destroyed from cleaning. Getting on to opaque.
It was from a seaside town and I think it is sand that acted the same way as if one was grinding a telescope mirror.

I also destroyed my own reading glasses by drinking from a glass cup, not realising I was banging the glass against the lenses. I don't do this any more.
With optics I am usually very careful. But not in this case.

I also destroyed my own reading glasses by drinking from a glass cup, not realising I was banging the glass against the lenses. I don't do this any more.

glad to hear you gave up the drinking....I had the same problem but went about fixing it a different way.... now drink right from the bottle.....

BTW...you sure it wasn't the foot rail that caused the scratched glasses problem??....B :)

glad to hear you gave up the drinking....I had the same problem but went about fixing it a different way.... now drink right from the bottle.....

BTW...you sure it wasn't the foot rail that caused the scratched glasses problem??....B :)

I'm with ya, mugs are way over rated

In nothing. I blow first. I suppose could be because of the dryer and sandy weather of my country...

Never polish or rub any lens, else you'll be sorry.
Cleaning lenses is the normal cause of death for binoculars.

The optimal natural solution preconized here on BF is to lick the ocular lenses. The moist tongue removes dirt and grit without scratching. The saliva also cuts grease and does not mar the coatings.
If fastidious, rinse the oculars with warm water subsequently and blot dry with an old t-shirt.

Never polish or rub any lens, else you'll be sorry.
Cleaning lenses is the normal cause of death for binoculars.

The optimal natural solution preconized here on BF is to lick the ocular lenses. The moist tongue removes dirt and grit without scratching. The saliva also cuts grease and does not mar the coatings.
If fastidious, rinse the oculars with warm water subsequently and blot dry with an old t-shirt.
I suppose it is a joke.. Lick the oculars?

The eye lenses of oculars is usually made from a hard glass type, or has a very hard modern coating.
The internal glasses maybe soft or exotic glass.

It may be that the water repelling coatings are not as hard as traditional modern coatings.

But any external coating can be damaged by cleaning or rubbing.

Licking the coatings may not be a joke, but I would think that some saliva might be harmful?

Circular patterns on lenses indicates cleaning.

I took apart some old Ross 20inch f/6.3 6 element symmetrical EMI (Extra Marginal Illumination) lenses, which had internal fungus starting. Maybe 1955 lenses of high quality. The coating was so soft it immediately came off in a gooey mess. It was better just to leave the lenses alone.
The external coatings were quite hard.

No joke, it works very well for me. The technique is especially useful in the New York winter, when snow and such are likely to mess up the oculars.

In addition to all of the other things I had to consider when evaluating a binocular, now I have to consider which binocular has the best tasting lens.

I have read about that in some of the prior lens cleaning threads. Maybe one needs to get a drooling Labrador Retriever to take along on bird walks.

Then why my 8 years old Nikon and 24 years old Olympus are perfect? And I clean them exactly the same way.. blowing first always.

Perhaps you don't use those bins in the same places as your Zeiss or take them on long days out or many other different reasons.

And on the same basis as your question one could ask why only you has reported this problem.

I strongly recommend you use a lens brush rather than blowing on the lens. Your breath contains moisture (which you can see on the lens) and although you may well blow away larger particles it is very likely that tiny particles that you can't see become stuck on the lens with the moisture in your breath and then act as a grinding paste when you wipe the lens.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back