• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss HT 10x42 - Allbinos review is up (1 Viewer)

Good stuff and interesting results. When I compared my 7x42 FL side-by-side with the 8x42 HT, I thought the colors were a little better in the HT, but didn't notice anything else that warranted a swap. Much like with the UV HD+ review it seems like once you get to a certain point you'd have to significantly alter the optical design to have a significant improvement in the optics.

Did you notice more visible CA in the HT compared to your FL ?

Good stuff and interesting results. When I compared my 7x42 FL side-by-side with the 8x42 HT, I thought the colors were a little better in the HT, but didn't notice anything else that warranted a swap. Much like with the UV HD+ review it seems like once you get to a certain point you'd have to significantly alter the optical design to have a significant improvement in the optics.

Still taking points off for ''false'' pupils, which are just characteristic of AK prisms, and are invisible to the viewer. Same goes for distortion - zero may not be desirable for most people as it has it's own drawbacks.

It also shows that any of AB's older transmission plots are all too high, as the HT comes in lower than the FL, which we know to be false.

In actual use the HT is the SVs equal regardless of the point total, not necessarily better than, but depending on your preferences either one could be seen as slightly better than the other one.

In actual use the HT is the SVs equal regardless of the point total, not necessarily better than, but depending on your preferences either one could be seen as slightly better than the other one.

I wouldn't look at the actual "total" or rankings from allbinos, but the info regarding transmission and distortions are useful.

But yes, the HT is a different but exceptional set of binoculars. I don't agree with James' other post about the FL*T, referencing an "orange" lateral CA, but I do think the HT had a more flat transmission profile - colors looked more true to life in the HT and maybe less 'washed out'(not sure if this is the right term, and it is an exaggeration and probably only noticed in direct comparisons). Both are exceptionally bright and have similar distortion profiles. I liked the ergonomics better in the FL*T, but that is of course up to user preferences...

The SV has advantages, but it is neither as bright nor as good at controlling CA as the FL*T/HT offerings. It has almost no distortion, has great ergonomics, and very nice colors, however.

J

I wouldn't look at the actual "total" or rankings from allbinos, but the info regarding transmission and distortions are useful.

But yes, the HT is a different but exceptional set of binoculars. I don't agree with James' other post about the FL*T, referencing an "orange" lateral CA, but I do think the HT had a more flat transmission profile - colors looked more true to life in the HT and maybe less 'washed out'(not sure if this is the right term, and it is an exaggeration and probably only noticed in direct comparisons). Both are exceptionally bright and have similar distortion profiles. I liked the ergonomics better in the FL*T, but that is of course up to user preferences...

The SV has advantages, but it is neither as bright nor as good at controlling CA as the FL*T/HT offerings. It has almost no distortion, has great ergonomics, and very nice colors, however.

J

I see CA everywhere, so YMMV.

In my testing of CA I always found the Zeiss FL's to be the best at controlling it. I think you are better off buying an FL at 1/2 the price of an HT and getting a better performing binocular. Both have AK high transmission prisms and I will bet the FL has more fluorite in it's glass correcting that CA better.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back