• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parkgate - Low High Tide (1 Viewer)

Sandra (Taylor)

Disappointing outing to Parkgate. The tide wasn't as high as predicted and there was little to see. Big flocks in the very far distance - little egret, juv. peregrine. Had hoped for short eared owl but nobody seem to see one. The majority decision was to watch from the carpark so we didn't go to Heswall. Lots of cars there - how many BF members I wonder? I think I'll carry a placard asking members present to make themselves known!

Went on from there to Inner Marsh Farm which had lots of good birds on the water - teal (with green winged amongst them); golden plover; 2 spotted redshank; black tailed godwit;Canada geese; curlew sandpiper; knot; buzzard; shelduck; lots of dragaonflies. So the day wasn't wasted!

Sandra

More or less the same results at Marshside re the low tide - 2 little egrets and a peregrine but no short eared owls, a good supply of waders though with knot, golden plover, black tailed gods etc. and a green sandpiper. Maybe the November high tides will be more productive?

Hi Sandra/Johnny

I was also there - I missed the spring high tide and was looking forward to this one. Likewise I was also looking forward to seeing a Short-eared Owl. Oh well...

Did see the Green-winged Teal at IMF (right in front of the hide for a change) plus Garganey and Curlew Sand. Also got Merlin and Hen Harrier in addition to Peregrine and 31 Little Egrets at Parkgate so the day was reasonably enjoyable.

Let's hope we have better luck next year!

Johnny1 said:
More or less the same results at Marshside re the low tide - 2 little egrets and a peregrine but no short eared owls, a good supply of waders though with knot, golden plover, black tailed gods etc. and a green sandpiper. Maybe the November high tides will be more productive?

Had short-eared and barn owls within minutes of each other at Marshside this evening between 5.45 and 6.15. Green sandpiper eh? Whereabouts? Missed that one ...

SiG said:
Had short-eared and barn owls within minutes of each other at Marshside this evening between 5.45 and 6.15. Green sandpiper eh? Whereabouts? Missed that one ...
. . . so that would have been just after I left you . . . typical! Just about summed my weekend up!

Sandra, reading back through the thread, I think we met. We were the two blokes in the white van next to your car - the fools who'd gone to IMF first thing, only to find it shut! We went back after we left Parkgate, but didn't bother when we saw they were using the overflow carpark - the hide's so small. After reading Mike's post I wish we'd persisted!

Jonathan

saluki said:
. . . We went back after we left Parkgate, but didn't bother when we saw they were using the overflow carpark - the hide's so small. After reading Mike's post I wish we'd persisted!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

I was at IMF early on Sunday. To be fair, although I didn't exactly plan it that way, I ended up doing something of a whistle stop tour of the north west. I started at Crosby at 7-30 (took me an hour to find a Med Gull), then went to IMF where the hide was full of a birding group from somewhere east of Manchester. But for one kind chap giving up his seat for half an hour I wouldn't have seen anything here and I was on the verge of giving up. Parkgate next and finished the afternoon with a Black Tern at Frodsham on the way home.

Although I was disappointed at the tide not covering the salt marsh, I still had a cracking days' birding. Also thought I briefly saw an Osprey at Frodsham - was very high and flew west into the sun before I could get a scope on it. Given I have never seen one outside Scotland plus the time of the year I am not brave enough to claim it!

saluki said:
. . . so that would have been just after I left you . . . typical! Just about summed my weekend up!

Sandra, reading back through the thread, I think we met. We were the two blokes in the white van next to your car - the fools who'd gone to IMF first thing, only to find it shut! We went back after we left Parkgate, but didn't bother when we saw they were using the overflow carpark - the hide's so small. After reading Mike's post I wish we'd persisted!

Jonathan

Yes - remember you well, Jonathan. And I think I saw Mike - if he had the dog on his avatar with him. The other end of the carpark? Friendly dog!

Still don't know why IMF should be shut. Birding isn't a 9 - 5 operation. Wish I'd mentioned BF to you - really will get a placard!!

Sandra
:gh:

JMikeB said:
Hi Jonathan

I was at IMF early on Sunday. To be fair, although I didn't exactly plan it that way, I ended up doing something of a whistle stop tour of the north west. I started at Crosby at 7-30 (took me an hour to find a Med Gull), then went to IMF where the hide was full of a birding group from somewhere east of Manchester. But for one kind chap giving up his seat for half an hour I wouldn't have seen anything here and I was on the verge of giving up. Parkgate next and finished the afternoon with a Black Tern at Frodsham on the way home.

Although I was disappointed at the tide not covering the salt marsh, I still had a cracking days' birding. Also thought I briefly saw an Osprey at Frodsham - was very high and flew west into the sun before I could get a scope on it. Given I have never seen one outside Scotland plus the time of the year I am not brave enough to claim it!
Hi Mike,

Saturday at Parkgate was a bit of a let-down. We'd set off at 6.00am to go to IMF. I've not been there early for some time - last time we got on at 5.00am! On Saturday the gate was closed with a sign saying 'open 9.00am'. We had a drive down to the marina at Hoylake, then came back to Parkgate and a walk along the golf course. Had great views of a juv. male peregrine that flew right past us, then out onto the marsh, where I think it must have knocked something down (though we missed that bit!) as it spent ten minutes trying to drive off crows that seemed intent on stealing whatever it was. Eventually it succeeded and landed on the marsh. Full tide at Parkgate, as Sandra says, was a wash-out (or not, as the case was!); a peregrine far out on the marsh (my mate spotted another somewhere over on the Welsh side, though I couldn't find it, he has incredible eyesight!) and a buzzard, several egrets and lots of distant waders and ducks. We then went to New Brighton and got a few shots of roosting turnstone, etc. Wish we'd gone to Frodsham!

Sunday started off even better! Got to Marshside at 7.00am only to realise my binocs weren't in my bag. Walked along the road beside Crossant Marsh for twently mins, using a pair of cheap Bressers I always keep in the car, but decided I couldn't spend a full day birding with them, so drove all the way home and back to get my binocs!

We sometimes do the 'northern leg' of your journey on Saturday - Crosby Marina at dawn then on to Marshside for the morning, followed by an afternoon at either Martin Mere or Leighton Moss - can be a long day if we wait for the red deer in the evening at LM!

Went to the lakes I told you about down Silver Lane last night. Nothing unusual on the lakes – tuffties, pochard, four little grebes, etc., but I did see a male merlin flying over the tip.

Jonathan

SiG said:
Sig, spotted the green sand from the viewing platform when it flew up with a small flock of starlings, I was surprised to see it myself as I've never seen a green sand here before.

Johnny1 said:
Sig, spotted the green sand from the viewing platform when it flew up with a small flock of starlings, I was surprised to see it myself as I've never seen a green sand here before.

Thanks Johnny - the viewing platform looking over the outer marsh at the start of the English Nature Reserve, or the one on Hesketh Road ?

A Green Sandpiper has been reported a few times in recent weeks at Marshside, but I've never before been clear where, and certainly haven't seen one!

A late Wheatear becomes a late Wheatear.

Well, I was working the weekend, so had to wait till Monday before heading down Riverbanks Road, Heswall, to watch the tide come in there. Had a distant Ringtail a couple of times, up to three Peregrines, at least two and possibly as many as four Merlins and a Wheatear. This last had an unfortunate encounter with one of the Merlins; it was snatched up off the marsh from right under our noses.
Also a small party of Red-breasted Mergansers and a Great Crested Grebe diving over the flooded marsh, and much toing and froing of Curlew, Redshank, Teal, Shelduck etc.
Oh, and Little Egret (one flying round carrying a stick) up to half a dozen - still can't quite believe this is no longer a twitch-worthy bird!

James

Last edited:
saluki said:
Got to Marshside at 7.00am only to realise my binocs weren't in my bag. Walked along the road beside Crossant Marsh for twently mins, using a pair of cheap Bressers I always keep in the car, but decided I couldn't spend a full day birding with them, so drove all the way home and back to get my binocs!

Went to the lakes I told you about down Silver Lane last night. Nothing unusual on the lakes – tuffties, pochard, four little grebes, etc., but I did see a male merlin flying over the tip.

Jonathan

Don't you just hate it when that happens!

Sounds like the Peregrine was worth the trip out by itself. Will have to give lakes near Silver Lane a try soon. Am planning a trip to Risley for the feeding station - I think they should have started feeding the birds by now.

Sandra (Taylor) said:
And I think I saw Mike - if he had the dog on his avatar with him. The other end of the carpark? Friendly dog!

Sandra
:gh:

Hi Sandra

For once I left the mutt at home - he hasn't stopped sulking yet! I was near the front end of the car park in a very muddy silver Rover.

SiG said:
Thanks Johnny - the viewing platform looking over the outer marsh at the start of the English Nature Reserve, or the one on Hesketh Road ?

A Green Sandpiper has been reported a few times in recent weeks at Marshside, but I've never before been clear where, and certainly haven't seen one!
Sig, I should have made it clearer in my reply - I meant the small platform looking out over the marsh walking North from the sandplant towards the Plough roundabout.

Johnny1 said:
Sig, I should have made it clearer in my reply - I meant the small platform looking out over the marsh walking North from the sandplant towards the Plough roundabout.

Thanks Johnny. That's the one I think of as the start of what's currently managed by English Nature.

There was a Purple Sand reported over the w/e at the marsh too - I didn't see that either!

Last edited:
I saw the purple sand reported on Birdguides? ( I think) I don't know if it was a genuine report or a mis.I.D. If I hear any more I'll let you know.

I was the other side of the Dee (Oakenholt Marsh) on Friday/Saturday and Sunday. Birds were excellent, thousands of Oystercatcher and Bl T Godwits. A few Curlew Sands, a Little Stint on Sunday. An Avocet on Saturday. Peregrine, Buzzard and Kestrel for the Raptor lovers. The now common Little Egret's with the Grey Herons. Dunlin and Knot are arriving back in good numbers. Greenshank are still hanging around and there were a few Spotted Reds in with the common Redshank.

Wally

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back