• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID anyone please ? (1 Viewer)

Hi all

just joined this forum in the hopes someone can id this bird song for me. I have googled it with no luck. It was a few notes first, then it sounded exactly like "good to see you" and sometimes "so good to see you". I was amazed to hear it, and it was so clear!

I live in Kent England.

Hi ya Gill and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t;

Hopefully, someone from your side of the pond will be familiar with what you describe as its vocal ;)

Welcome to Birdforum. Pretty tough to imagine without hearing it, as identifying birds by voice is mostly about the quality of the sound rather than the tune. Habitat could narrow it down though. Could help if you let us know if it was in a city, or a reed bed, or a pine wood, or open farmland etc. Good luck!

Hello Gillibeanz,
Your description strongly brings to my mind a memory of my first auditive observation of Common Rosefinch (Carpodacus erythrinus). We heard it singing in Finland, in bushes at the roadside, and I discovered that its song, a repeated "nice to meet you!" had some reputation already among Dutch birders (who have travelled and often use English books, of course). In Holland this species is extremely rare; there have been some breeding cases, years ago, but normally there are no Rosefinches here. Of course I cannot judge if this is the bird of your vocal experience, it is just a hint to compare some registered sound of its song.
By the way, don't forget our very talented Starlings, who use their trips abroad to enrich their repertoire and are able to reproduce others' songs impeccably . . .
Cheers, Jan van der Brugge, Netherlands

...for example, your description could fit Cetti's Warbler pretty well, and it's a fairly common bird in Kent if you're near the right habitat, but it would be very unlikely if you're in the wrong habitat.

Thanks for the warm welcome the replies. The annoying thing is it was last summer and at the time i googled it and someone had mentioned the same thing and i found out what it was by playing an mp3 but cant for the life of me remember! All i remember was it was a fairly common bird -nothing rare.

We were out in the countryside in a car when we heard it. We had parked up it was a hot summers day so all the windows were open. When i told my husband and daughter my daughters reply was "yeah mum keep taking the pills"' - then they both heard it and were as amazed as me!

Id love to find out as im really into my garden birds. I have 4 feeding stations and 4 nesting boxes up :)

Try Song Thrush. Variable, but loud, repetitive phrases. You'll get a recording on the RSPB website, or xeno-canto site. Great Tit too is highly variable but can have repeated phrases that sound like they're trying to tell you something!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back