• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon A590 IS and Swarovski ATS 80HD scope (1 Viewer)

It looks as though you are having great success with this set-up.

When you use the 30X EP is the distance between the camera lens & the eyepiece critical?

Any prefered camera settings would also be helpful

Thanks

Grundy,

I have to admit that I just connect the camera to the DCA, slip it over the eyepiece and shoot. I will check next time out in the field and get back to you.

Wings,

Easy on the coffee and it is not to difficult to take a shot in reasonable light levels.

Bob

Without a cable release? This is stunning! Superlative.

Wings,

I forgot to mention that the bird was standing on a piece of polystrene floating in the harbour, so I was tilting up and down (or at least trying too) as the bird moved with the harbour swell.

Bob

hi bob fantastic shots, how did you get the dca to fit the 30x eyepiece, i use it on the zoom nice snug fit. but could not get it to fit the 30x cheers jason:t:

Jason,

Swarovski actually made 2 models of DCA, one for the 20-60x zoom (which I assume is the model you have) and one for the fixed eyepieces 30x and 45x . It took me a long time to discover this fact and apparently the fixed version of the DCA is only available in the US now. Most dealers will say that the zoom DCA will work on the 30x eyepieces but this is not the case.

Bob

hi bob fantastic shots, how did you get the dca to fit the 30x eyepiece, i use it on the zoom nice snug fit. but could not get it to fit the 30x cheers jason:t:

Jason,
Wrap some tennis racket grip around the end of the eyepiece (camera end ) so that the DCA is a nice , tight fit , and that will solve the problem.
Neil.
ps I have all my fixed eyepieces modified this way

Jason,
Wrap some tennis racket grip around the end of the eyepiece (camera end ) so that the DCA is a nice , tight fit , and that will solve the problem.
Neil.
ps I have all my fixed eyepieces modified this way
____--

Now that's innovation!

Jason,

Swarovski actually made 2 models of DCA, one for the 20-60x zoom (which I assume is the model you have) and one for the fixed eyepieces 30x and 45x . It took me a long time to discover this fact and apparently the fixed version of the DCA is only available in the US now. Most dealers will say that the zoom DCA will work on the 30x eyepieces but this is not the case.

Bob

Hi Bob - I made some inquires about the setup you have with OpticsPlanet. I was told that SW-DA-49206 would work with the zoom eyepiece; however I would also need the LA-DC52G Conversion Lens Adapter. Is that right? I would be using the same scope as you, with the 20X60 S eyepiece. I would appreciate any feedback

Thats correct, you need the Canon conversion tube and the DCA. The DCA will come with a set of rings to couple both together.

The only limitation to this setup (and most others) is in bright sunlight with the sun falling on the LCD screen, you may have difficulty seeing the screen.

As Neil mentioned if after putting the DCA on the scope eyepiece you find any movement between the them, get some tennis grip tape (it is non sticky) and wind around the eyepiece. (We both use the grip tape)

Don't forget to remove the zoom rubber eyepiece or otherwise the DCA may not go all the way on

Bob

This is a link to more of my shots taken on the Canon A590IS http://www.flickr.com/photos/jingbar/sets/72157609602990824/

Last edited:
Bob, how close does your scope eyepiece get to the camera lens (say, in mm.)? I'm wondering if there's much difference in output quality if such distance varies by a few millimeters. Maybe the answer may have two components: (1) a P&S zoom lens and (b) a fixed DSLR lens.

Thats correct, you need the Canon conversion tube and the DCA. The DCA will come with a set of rings to couple both together.

The only limitation to this setup (and most others) is in bright sunlight with the sun falling on the LCD screen, you may have difficulty seeing the screen.

As Neil mentioned if after putting the DCA on the scope eyepiece you find any movement between the them, get some tennis grip tape (it is non sticky) and wind around the eyepiece. (We both use the grip tape)

Don't forget to remove the zoom rubber eyepiece or otherwise the DCA may not go all the way on

Bob

This is a link to more of my shots taken on the Canon A590IS http://www.flickr.com/photos/jingbar/sets/72157609602990824/

Thank you Bob, you have been a great help. I will be looking to purchase the setup.

I also bought yesterday a A590IS. After some recommendations here I wanted to buy the Lumix FX150, but it is also end of life and was no more available. But the shop offered the last A590 for a damn low price (exhibit device) so I bought that.

What I like is the flexible selftimer setting. My velbon legs needs 3 seconds to settle down after touching the cam so the 2sec offers by most of the cams are not enough, 10sec are too long.
What I dislike is that the selftimer cannot be combined with exposure variation in the row of pics, or did I overlook anything?

In the afternoon it was totally dark but I was able to take some shots (through the window glas) of a totally wet crow sitting in the rain. Distance was near to 40m.
Note his handicap - I've known him for two years, so he can live with that without big problems.

A590IS on DCB-A, Swaro ATS80HD, 25-50W, Velbon CF-640, Manfrotto 128RC

Attachments

• huckebein.jpg
    huckebein.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 163
  • huckebein-port.jpg
    huckebein-port.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 168
Some new shots using my selfmade USB shutter. Still searching for a better method to get more pictures with correct focus.

The last one is not cropped, zoom @50.

Swaro ATS80HD, 25-50 eyepiece, Canon A590IS

Attachments

• sparrow.jpg
    sparrow.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 164
  • redstart.jpg
    redstart.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 184
  • young_restart.jpg
    young_restart.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 145
  • young_restart_portr.jpg
    young_restart_portr.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 184
Very nice, Bughunter. The difference between your photos and mine is the Swaro scope, no doubt. What is your technique for focusing? The A590IS doesn't have the best LCD available (only 115,000 pixels compared to 230,000 for the Nikon Coolpix 5100).

Do you use Av setting, Macro or Manual focus?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back