• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Achieving sharp focus with P5100 Coolpix? (1 Viewer)

malc350

I am starting to get somewhere with my ED82A / Coolpix P5100 / Nikon FSB-6 setup but the main problem I seem to be having is judging sharp focus.

I don't know if it's because the screen isn't high-res enough or something but I can't judge the image too well.

I have tried focusing the scope then attaching the camera but that's no good as it's too slow and the image shifts too much when I attach the camera.

I was wondering if a magnifying loupe or something would be an idea?

Thanks, Malc

Malc,
You can use a Hoodman loupe which may help.
The 5100 in macro mode should do a reasonable job of focusing if you don't over zoom the lens. No more than 50%. Try to focus on something that's not moving eg birds legs,branch or rock.
Neil

Am facing the same challenge. I believe Neil has previously recommended setting AF to macro mode and staying in zoom ranges where it is functional (I.e., the macro symbol glows green on the LCD. Will definitely give this a try.

Macro mode

Thanks guys, I had better try macro mode. I have been wondering why it is just so hard to achieve correct focus. I have even tried focusing using the eyepiece then trying to attach the camera without moving anything else on my setup.

I reckon about 1 in 10 or so pictures are remotely sharp. Maybe the camera isn't focusing right so will try the macro mode...

I have to say this though - I cannot stress how disappointed I am in the P5100. The delay from pressing the shutter to capturing the image is just hard to believe. Even if I try and anticipate the bird's next move it has often even moved out of the frame by the time the exposure is made. I think it is almost unusable, despite its previous reputation as one of the cameras for digiscoping...

Malc

Thanks guys, I had better try macro mode. I have been wondering why it is just so hard to achieve correct focus. I have even tried focusing using the eyepiece then trying to attach the camera without moving anything else on my setup.

I reckon about 1 in 10 or so pictures are remotely sharp. Maybe the camera isn't focusing right so will try the macro mode...

I have to say this though - I cannot stress how disappointed I am in the P5100. The delay from pressing the shutter to capturing the image is just hard to believe. Even if I try and anticipate the bird's next move it has often even moved out of the frame by the time the exposure is made. I think it is almost unusable, despite its previous reputation as one of the cameras for digiscoping...

Malc

This is a big problem for me too. I can't understand why the P5100 focuses on everything but the object in the centre of the frame! It's almost perverse. When it works, the pictures are great though.

Often, with a bird sat motionless, I will use the 10 second timer and then gently focus the scope for extra sharpness. This really should not be necessary though and the 990 was consistently better than the P5100. Do people have problems with the P6000? I am tempted to get one as it has a manual focus option.

For interest, an example of one of my pics using the P5100, Kowa APO 883mm, URE20 and eagle-eye adaptors can be seen here:

http://www.kentos.org.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2345&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I use centre weighted metering, centre AF area mode set to 100 ISO. I have it on Marco (but not in the 'grey' range). Any advice always appreciared.

Cheers,

Andy.

Malc

Malc,
If you like to digiscope birds feeding in trees or on the ground then the P5100/6000 will be very frustrating. I wait for the birds to stop. When I watch Marsh Sandpipers feeding towards the hide on a rising tide I don't bother trying to photograph them. When the tide gets passed the hide and before the birds fly off to roost they stand around and groom and chat and get a few images. I tried to digiscope a Yellow Warbler feeding in New Jersey last year and it was a waste of time. I got 1 ok frame out of 30.
For this type of digiscoping the new Nikon P300 will be better with it's 7 fps and hi-rez lcd screen, although it doesn't have a thread for an adapter.
Neil

This is a big problem for me too. I can't understand why the P5100 focuses on everything but the object in the centre of the frame! It's almost perverse. When it works, the pictures are great though.

Often, with a bird sat motionless, I will use the 10 second timer and then gently focus the scope for extra sharpness. This really should not be necessary though and the 990 was consistently better than the P5100. Do people have problems with the P6000? I am tempted to get one as it has a manual focus option.

For interest, an example of one of my pics using the P5100, Kowa APO 883mm, URE20 and eagle-eye adaptors can be seen here:

http://www.kentos.org.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2345&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I use centre weighted metering, centre AF area mode set to 100 ISO. I have it on Marco (but not in the 'grey' range). Any advice always appreciared.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

That Yellow Legged Gull shot is a cracker, surely you're not dissappointed with it. I'd be very happy if I could get some shots as good as that with my P5100.

Cheers,

Malc

I'm coming in a bit late on this discussion (I've not been on BirdForum for quite a while), but I just wanted to say I get great results with the Nikon P5100 on my Nikon Fieldscope. I use the Nikon FSB-6 Adapter, and there is no vignetting. The bracket also allows me to use a cable release, so I don't have to wait for the 3- or 10-second timer.

For a long time I also I had a lot of problems with focusing, but then I stumbled onto using the manual focus. In aperture-priority "A" mode (which I presume you are using): press the OK button, then move the focus bracket cursor around on the LCD until it is over a sharp edge (the bird's leg or bill)... and take the picture. The camera will now focus on the sharp edge under the cursor and no longer focus on the twigs, etc, in front of, or beyond, the bird! It works almost every time!

Under bright conditions outdoors, finding the bird on the LCD and controling the focus were big problems until I broke down and bought a Hoodman (about $75, I think it was, but it has been worth every penny!). At 3" diagonal measurement, it's a bit big for the P5100, but it works well. I hold the Hoodman over the back of the camera with a couple of rubber bands attached to the camera.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back