• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help With Info on B&L Elites (1 Viewer)

ChadHahn

I picked up these 10x42 Elite binoculars model 61-1042 today and was wondering about them. It seems like all the pictures of Elites that I see online are a different body style. Are these the earliest model? About when were they made? Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 106
This 1996 review of the model that replaced your binocular has some information that might be useful.

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Bausch-Lomb-Elite-8x42.php

It appears that a "P" was added to the model number of your binocular to indicate phase coating (introduced in 1992) and it continued to be available for at least a short time after the new model was introduced in 1996. If yours are non-phase corrected that would indicate a date of manufacture sometime between the mid/late 80's and early 1992.

Last edited:
I owned this pair, and loved them, until they were stolen. I think circa 1990-92?

I know that they are not supposed to be phase-coated but they have outstanding sharpness and contrast. I really don't see how they cannot be P-Coated. I now own the 7 x 36 Elite [1991] and they have a tiny edge in sharpness and contrast to my 7 x 42 BGAT/P, although a smaller sweet spot and smaller FOV.

Anyone that loves good bino's owes it to themselves to pick up a pair. As I have said elsewhere, I think this model is optically superior to their successor, the stubby waterproof model.

btw - what did you pay for these?

As I've mentioned in other threads, I have good luck finding binoculars at pawn shops. Yesterday I went into a pawn shop I hardly go to because they are so expensive. After looking at a Nikon AW100 point and shoot that was priced about $20 less than a new one I walked over to the Binoculars and noticed these.

They have the case, B&L cleaning cloth, strap and rear objective covers (no front). I got them for $20 out the door.

Chad

As I've mentioned in other threads, I have good luck finding binoculars at pawn shops. Yesterday I went into a pawn shop I hardly go to because they are so expensive. After looking at a Nikon AW100 point and shoot that was priced about $20 less than a new one I walked over to the Binoculars and noticed these.

They have the case, B&L cleaning cloth, strap and rear objective covers (no front). I got them for $20 out the door.

Chad

They went for about $1500 new, and probably still close to half of that now........sigh.........what a screaming deal!

These stories sound like finding the Porsche Speedster in a barn under an old tarp.......never my luck though.

They went for about $1500 new, and probably still close to half of that now........sigh.........what a screaming deal!

These stories sound like finding the Porsche Speedster in a barn under an old tarp.......never my luck though.

$1500.00 for a roof prism made around 1990! Pre-inflation price too! :eek!:

And people are complaining about the costs of the new Conquests, Trinovids, CL's and Nikon Premiums which will perform circles around them!

Put inflation into the picture and even the new Swarovisions, EDG's, Fl's and Ultravids are bargains.

Bob

I get all sorts of deals on binos around here. I was talking to a manger of a pawn shop I frequent and he thought it was pretty funny that I collected binoculars. The next time I was in there i picked up a pair of Leica made Leupold Gold Ring 8X20s for about the same price as these B&Ls.

Chad

I believe James is mistaken. I bought my B&L Elite 8X42 new for $660 (from Adorama) and that was well back in the 90's. You got a great deal on a darn good binocular, assuming they're in decent shape.

Peter

I believe James is mistaken. I bought my B&L Elite 8X42 new for $660 (from Adorama) and that was well back in the 90's. You got a great deal on a darn good binocular, assuming they're in decent shape.

Peter

They listed for something like $1600, I paid $900 for mine. If you got your for $600, you got a screaming deal.

The Elite's were more than Trinnies, Zeiss Classic etc. at the time.

Edit - Here is a link to pricing........

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/binocsbwd95table.html

Last edited:
$1500.00 for a roof prism made around 1990! Pre-inflation price too! :eek!:

And people are complaining about the costs of the new Conquests, Trinovids, CL's and Nikon Premiums which will perform circles around them!

Put inflation into the picture and even the new Swarovisions, EDG's, Fl's and Ultravids are bargains.

Bob

Try a pair and I don't think you will still think these models ''perform circles around them.'

I really do think the early 90's elite's are the unsung hero's of this era of roofs. They were, at the time, clearly better than Trinovids, Zeiss classic's, etc. I don't know why they seem to have been forgotten.

As I said, you need to try out a pair and see what I mean. My 7 x 36's have sharpness and contrast so very close to the best modern bins they have to be seen to be believed.

I'd love to try one but I have to be realistic. It would be very hard to find one to do any comparisons. At that price I'd bet that they didn't sell many. The Leitz Trinovids and Zeiss ClassiCs were lower priced (Around $1100.00 as I recall.) and they still can be found on the used market.

Two questions: Did they focus by moving the objective lenses? I notice the focusing knob is on the front of the hinge. Also the reflections are green. Is this the usual color for FMC?

Bob

Last edited:
... the reflections are green. Is this the usual color for FMC?

Bob

They're not just green. There is also a blue or purple tint to them as well. They are in the car and the wife has it so I can't check for sure, but the coating is two colors.

Chad

I'd love to try one but I have to be realistic. It would be very hard to find one to do any comparisons. At that price I'd bet that they didn't sell many. The Leitz Trinovids and Zeiss ClassiCs were lower priced (Around $1100.00 as I recall.) and they still can be found on the used market.

Two questions: Did they focus by moving the objective lenses? I notice the focusing knob is on the front of the hinge. Also the reflections are green. Is this the usual color for FMC?

Bob

They sold a ton. In the 90's, at places like Pelee - with thousands of birders, these were the top bins, worn by more birders than the other 3 alphas. Even last year, at Pelee, I saw dozens of birders still sporting a pair, both the 2nd and 3rd gens.

Focus is acheived by moving the lens element behind the front objective.

Looking at the thread "Early Elites" it seems that the first Elite's had a pebbled leather covering. Does that mean these are the 2nd generation?

Chad

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back