• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the Bausch & Lomb Zephyr 7x35 - a real classic (1 Viewer)

I found my 9x35 Zephyrs last year , in a pawnshop in Wyoming. The owner had a long grey ponytail, and was leaning back in his chair, cleaning an old Marlin rifle, looks like a Winchester. He spoke in that rapidly disappearing Western, 'Cowboy' accent. I got the Zephyrs for $30, and he let me play with his rifle! Magic moments.

Bausch & Lomb made a monocular in the 7x35 configuation. After literally several decades of searching for one, I finally was able to purchase one. Its serial number indicates that it was manufactured in 1949; hence, it is coated. B&L may have made monoculars in other powers. Of this I have not seen any evidence or listed in printed material. Perhaps someone out there in bird land has some information they would be willing to share with us. The 7x35 Zephyr CF weighs 19 ounces. Without the bridge and CF mechanism, the monocular weighs less than 10 ounces, truly compact amd light.

With the eye cup removed, the user can get the full field of view wearing eye glasses. Quality monoculars are greatly underrated IMO. A number of people have lost eyesight in one eye, two relatives in my immediate family. Even for folks with two good eyes, monoculars have their place, when space, compactness, and weight are a consideration. With practice, is is easy to get a very steady view with a monocular.

The undisputed alpha, IMO, is the Zeiss 8x30 B porro monocular made over 50 years ago. Its FOV is good, and it cups in the hand like it belongs. I haven't found any porro to match its construction - similar to the old Leitz Trinovids. Zeiss designed the 8x30 B porro as either a camera telephoto lens or just a plain monocular. Regardless, it is a good example of Zeiss bringing the porro to it practical limit. Only with the newest coatings could it be improved, and then only incrementally.

John

Chad - I presume you snapped up those Zephyrs? John

Earlier this week I was in the pawn shop to see if they had marked the Zephyrs down yet. While I was there one of the employees was taking things out of the cases to send to a new store. The Zephyrs were one of the items. I grabbed it up and asked what they'd sell it to me for. I got it for $20 out the door. It's a good thing I stopped in that day.

I'll get some pictures of it in the next few days.

Chad

Seeing this thread is quite ironic, it is one of my sellers remorse binoculars! Don't know why i sold it?! The Zephyr is one of my all time favorites, it's all i use to use. I had them serviced in the late 90's put them up and then sold them 4 or 5 yrs ago. The guy i sold them to uses them all the time and acctually prefers them to todays glass. He's retired and doesn't have the money for todays alphas and i quote( glass was better then) he tells me with a wink! Priceless! :) Bryce...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back