• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell legends ultra HD 10x 42 or Zen Ray ZRS HD 10X42? (1 Viewer)

Chipiron

Hi!, i need help to decide between these models, (I only know a little of english, sorry )

I´ve read that bushnell 8 x 42 has problems in their edges, this is why i prefer the 10 x 42 ones, between these and zen ray ZRS HD (8 x 42 or 10 x 42) wich ones do you recomend?

Thank you so much!

If you go with Bushnell, make sure you get a good return policy. I went thru two pairs of Bushnell 8x42 Ultra HD. Both had the same problem. The trim ring on the diopter was broken on both. It didn't affect the functionality of the glasses, but it didn't inspire any confidence. I returned the first pair, received the replacement and it had the same problem. I gave up and requested my money back.
The dealer was Optics Planet and their customer service was great.

If you go with Bushnell, make sure you get a good return policy. I went thru two pairs of Bushnell 8x42 Ultra HD. Both had the same problem. The trim ring on the diopter was broken on both. It didn't affect the functionality of the glasses, but it didn't inspire any confidence. I returned the first pair, received the replacement and it had the same problem. I gave up and requested my money back.
The dealer was Optics Planet and their customer service was great.

Thank you for the anwer, i ve read about this problem before, i'am from Spain and it supose a problem, because here the bushnells costs about 400€ and i was looking to buy them in america, but...i have a problem with this, because if i have to return them i supose that i will have to pay the ship and it cost around 50 dolars...
i think it will be better to buy the zen ray...

I've never heard of this "broken diopter" problem on the Legend Ultras before, so I'm curious what is breaking? Possibly some people don't read the directions that the eyepiece has to be pulled up before twisting to set the diopter. I guess trying to twist the diopter in the normal way before pulling it up might cause some problems.;) I've personally had about a dozen different models over the last 20 months have have never had any mechanical issues.

I have a pair of 10x42 Ultra HD's and a pair of 10x42 Zen ZRS HD's that I've had for almost 2 years. In July I sent the 10x42 ZRS HD's back to Zen Ray along with my $25 check and $10 in postage because the right eyecup was separating and the focus wheel had developed a tremendous amount of slack. They were replaced by ZR with a new boxed pair. Since I have always felt the Bushnell was a better bino, the Zens have probably only seen 10% of the use of the Bushnell's, which in my mind doesn't speak highly of the durability of the Zens.

So if anyone wants a new boxed pair of 10x42 ZRS HD's cheap, I've got a deal for you.;)

I've never heard of this "broken diopter" problem on the Legend Ultras before, so I'm curious what is breaking? Possibly some people don't read the directions that the eyepiece has to be pulled up before twisting to set the diopter. I guess trying to twist the diopter in the normal way before pulling it up might cause some problems.;) I've personally had about a dozen different models over the last 20 months have have never had any mechanical issues.

)

The diopter adjustment is covered with a black plastic coating on its outer surface. On my first pair, I was going to check the adjustment. I pulled out the diopter ring to unlock it and the black coating fell off in my hand in two pieces.
The second pair, I was cautious and felt of the blacking coating and it was loose and broken in one place. I had taken pictures of the first broken piece,but I have deleted them from my camera.

There are three reports of the diopter trim ring broken on this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Legend-Ultra-HD-Binocular/product-reviews/B00200C7L8
It happens.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back