• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

V3 first outing (1 Viewer)

oneclik

I really like this camera, my first proper birding trip today and it just worked.

It's so much better than my V1 in handling and speed, image quality is a bit sharper and the extra resolution is useful. Still playing with the best RAW settings in Lightroom 5,

Managed to get 650 shots off and the battery has only lost 1 bar !!

These were taken with the AFS 300 f4 on the FT1 to give 810mm effective, shot at 10fps with electronic shutter on a tripod.

Kevin

Attachments

• BF (1 of 1).jpg
    BF (1 of 1).jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 294
  • BF (1 of 2).jpg
    BF (1 of 2).jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 269
Handheld 810mm

Thanks for your comments.

Here is another, at longer range but handheld with the same lens ie 810mm effective & using the touchscreen to trigger the electronic shutter whilst crouched at the base of the church spire.

This was shot landscape but cropped to portrait orientation, it leaves enough pixels for 10"x8" print at 250ppi (2121x2970 pixels).

Handheld with a big(ish) lens using the rear LCD screen is a bit tricky, I will get the viewfinder at some point. However, on a tripod the touchscreen seems to work in place of a remote without introducing shake in many instances, but only single shot exposure. Continuous shots still require a press of the shutter release button.

Attachments

• _DSC1143.jpg
    _DSC1143.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 153
I really like this camera, my first proper birding trip today and it just worked.

It's so much better than my V1 in handling and speed, image quality is a bit sharper and the extra resolution is useful. Still playing with the best RAW settings in Lightroom 5,

These were taken with the AFS 300 f4 on the FT1 to give 810mm effective, shot at 10fps with electronic shutter on a tripod.

Kevin

Excellent Kevin.
I missed the spoonbill but got the crane (standing over the nest) by the Martin Smith Hide I guess, with my V3 and 80-400vr. I think the 300f4 is better.

Kevin

These look good to me too. Well done.
Neil.

Oneclik, May I ask a question about the V1. I have just bought one at a very good price (allegedly the last one in the shop!) and with the FT1 have just started using it with my Nikon lenses. First impressions are excellent but as always with these small cameras there is a knack to getting the best out of them. Do you have any recommendations for the best settings I should be using on the V1.

Bob,

Make sure you update the firmware to enable AF-C on the FT1.

With my 300mm lens I don't have VR and at an equivalent of 800mm and I found this tricky to shoot using the mechanical shutter without inducing blur. However, shooting with the faster frames per second with the electronic shutter means you can't dial in exposure compensation so that was always a dilemma.

Within those not much to add other than shoot in RAW, the quality is much better.

Here is one more with my V3, Night Heron's aren't common in the UK so it was a bit of a panic when one flew in front of me............

Attachments

• DSC_1905.jpg
    DSC_1905.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 126
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back