• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D4 (1 Viewer)

Gazzno

Been looking to buy a Nikon D4 for a while and keep checking the prices as I save up for one, but have noticed a rapid price drop from some sites!!

Top end electronics have them for sale at £2983.00 & as much as that's good news I am wary as I don't fancy receiving a brick or some Chinese knock off!! Can anyone shed any light on what's going on?

Thanks Garry

Ok thanks mate, just had a quick look at the D4 vsD4s reviews and the iso low light shooting seems more or less the same which is what I was after.
Think I'll have a D4 sooner than I expected!!
Thanks Garry

Ok thanks mate, just had a quick look at the D4 vsD4s reviews and the iso low light shooting seems more or less the same which is what I was after.
Think I'll have a D4 sooner than I expected!!
Thanks Garry

For all intensive purposes the D3s is the same as the D4(s). Many people didn't bother with the upgrade because the basics haven't changed much and the D3s is still a sought-after camera.

I have been using the D3s for bird photography and in some aspects it's just brilliant but the 12MP is a killer when it comes to cropping, the D4 and D4s are not much better at 16MP.

I've gone back to using the D800E. The cropability of the files makes a huge difference with small birds and retaining detail. Though I do lose the 9-10fps so if I think I'll need it then I have the D3s on stand-by.

Just wish Nikon would bring out a 24MP version of the D3s/D4/D4s.

I was originally after the D3s but cant seem to find one anywhere & don't want a S/H one as why would anyone want to sell one? as you say why upgrade?
I have a D200 which is great when its bright but not so good in low light (hence the need for a D4) I very rarely use a tripod as I like to get birds in flight whenever I can (fail miserably most of the time lol)

The lenses I use are my Nikon 18-200, Nikon 80-400 & Sigma 120-300 f2.8 so will be keeping my D200 to save time swapping lenses. but my D200 has served me well and cannot fault it when its bright I have taken 1000's of pics with that and still going strong.

Thanks mate, seen some already and the major upgrade for the D4s seems to be "RAW-S" seems to be better at low light photography & high ISO shooting for wildlife photography
was aiming to save up to the £4500.00 mark for the d4, so may just go for the D4s unless there's a real big price difference but knowing the monopoly Nikon and the camera shops have I doubt there will be massive savings to be had?
Will take a look through the link you posted, always good to get a different perspective on camera reviews

Thanks Garry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back