• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Change maybe in order! (1 Viewer)

LeeDavis

Lee Davis Wildlife Photography
Hi all,

I would like I bit of information if possible.

I am currently using canon gear and I and not happy with the hit rate on flight photography.

Can anyone help with regards the hit rate with Nikon with bif and your experience, and best camera for this.

Cheers

Hi all,

I would like I bit of information if possible.

I am currently using canon gear and I and not happy with the hit rate on flight photography.

Can anyone help with regards the hit rate with Nikon with bif and your experience, and best camera for this.

Cheers

You don't give any information on what gear you are using currently, presumably to avoid a flood of statements saying they get perfect shots every time using the same.Looking at photo's posted on the internet there are both superlative Canon and Nikon flight shots so I think you may be barking up the wrong tree if you think just swopping brands will improve your hit rate.

You don't give any information on what gear you are using currently, presumably to avoid a flood of statements saying they get perfect shots every time using the same.Looking at photo's posted on the internet there are both superlative Canon and Nikon flight shots so I think you may be barking up the wrong tree if you think just swopping brands will improve your hit rate.

I have to agree with Dave. Many fantastic shooters out there using Canon gear. BIF is not always a 100% success story as many factors are involved (bird flight speed, bird size, background confusing the camera etc.). Therefore you also need to thoroughly investigate the different AF modes in your camera to find out which one works best for BIF.

For example with the D800E (I do the same with the D3s) I switch from whatever is the maximum number of points, so for the D800E that is 51 points, in general use to 21 points (definitely no 3D tracking) and the 'lock-on delay' (I'm avoiding using Canon/Nikon terminology here) from an average 3 to 1 or 0 (which isn't actually zero just the lowest setting on the scale of 0 to 5), in AF-C mode (Canon = Servo) and with Focus-lock OFF = release without lock.

If you have an aging camera then a more modern one with a newer AF system will certainly be an improvement (whether Canon or Nikon) but the lens you are using will also impact BIF as lenses designed for the task usually have much faster AF too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back