• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon mirrorless (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Just wondering how the Nikon mirrorless(any model) autofocus compares to say a Nikon D7100. Both for still and moving subjects.

Regards Gerard.

If you mean the Nikon J1 and similar models it is like all such small cameras, i.e. no viewfinder - just the screen on the back. The camera is thus pretty hopeless in bright sunshine. At least it is pocket-able with the small lens fitted. Otherwise in my opinion the bigger D7100 with a much larger sensor + suitable lenses beats such small cameras hands down.

Sorry I was talking about the V versions of nikons mirrorless. Would Fujis x range of mirrorless be any better?

Regards Gerard.

The V1 with 300mm f4 has good AF speed on stationary birds. I have had less success with BIF, probably because the effective focal length (810mm) makes tracking a flying bird tricky.

Overall, whilst I like the V1 I find that a cropped image on my d7100 will usually be superior compared to an uncropped image from my V1 due to the DSLRs superior sensor and much better high ISO capability.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I've purchased a Nikon v1 so I'm looking forward to testing it out on my 300 f4 when I source an ft-1 adapter.
I might also try some digiscoping again after a bit of a break from it.

Regards Gerard.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back