• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.25" Pushfit Adapter for SDL and HDF eyepieces? (1 Viewer)

Ok Pete, thanks , I'll check it out over the weekend and get the gear back to you next week. I did try to make an adapter for the zoom, it wasn't successful though, ended up using tape. Hopefully this new adapter is the answer.

Ron

am interested in this....this adapter will fit my bushnell spacemaster, i think.

nm, this is the wrong way around. need astro eps to fit my opticron/spacemaster scope

Last edited:
Pete sent me an adaptor to try. I have a budget scope - a Skywatcher 100 f/4 Newtonian, with the two cheap eyepieces that came with it. (This scope may be the best bargain under £100 for astro - especially as the bottom of the Dobsonian tabletop mini-mount has a screw thread for a standard tripod). I also have an SDLv2 eyepiece with an MM3 50mm.

The adaptor seems well engineered and screws easily into the eyepiece and fits snugly in the focusser. Pete was worried that the length of the adapter would prevent the eyepiece from coming to focus at infinity, but there were no issues at all - there was focus room to spare. The scope's focusser and mini-dobsonian mount coped admirably with the extra weight of the eyepiece and in fact the extra length of the eyepiece helped with getting into a good viewing position.

The eyepiece certainly performed better that the cheap eyepieces that came with the scope, and particularly at the higher magnification (I presume 8mm fl) the field was wider and with higher contrast. It also seemed flatter. The ability to zoom in and out was really useful (no faffing about changing eyepieces in the dark) even though the SDLv2 is not parfocal.

I'm keeping it. :)

Pete sent me one to try in my Pentax. Unfortunately the HDF zoom wouldn't reach focus and I had to modify the adapter to get the SDL zoom to work. It looks like you have much more scope (pardon the pun) with an astro scopes to focus.

Last edited:
Indeed, at least in refractors as with those more focus travel is essentially the cost of a few cm of aluminum tube (within limits - too much will lead to vignetting). In Newtonian reflectors more focus travel usually comes at the price of a larger secondary and thus more obstruction and consequently less contrast, so focus travel tends to be more limited there...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back