• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BX-1 10x30 Yosemite LPD-117981/Black in box (1 Viewer)

Nixterdemus

Came across a deal on these and posted such in bin bargains.

BX-1 10x30 Yosemite LPD-117981 $58.32 + 9.89 shipping

"Full-size binoculars can be too large for many people, especially users with smaller faces. At about 4.5" long, Leupold BX-1 Yosemite binoculars fit smaller hands and adjust to fit the smaller interpupillary distance (the distance between the eyes) of smaller users with twist up eyecups and an ergonomic design. They are armor-coated, rugged and waterproof with L-Coat BAK4 Porro Prisms and fully multi-coated lenses."

Magnification: 10 x
Objective Lens Diameter: 30 mm
Prism Material: BAK4
Prism System: Porro
Color: Black
Condition: New
Eye Relief: 15.5 mm
Weight: 17 oz
Field of View: 351 ft at 1000 yds
Optical Coating: Fully Multi-Coated
Color Family: Black

I've read a few posts in the Leupold folder about flimsy armour, however on mine she's tight as a drum. Granted the fumes of curing about knocked me out when I broke open the box and the first day I could only use them sparingly or risk nausea.

Second day the scent dissipates and I take 'em for a spin. Very compact w/focus knob a bit stiff, but very smooth and deliberate. Due in part to short fat fingers I found using both middle fingers in a push/pull tandem quite easy w/natural feel. I'm sure as time wears on abd the bin breaks in that I will return to middle finger dominate hand.

In gripping the little porro my third fingers draped over the short objective tubes leaving pinkies extended. Somewhat of a cross 'twixt gang sign and looking for saucer on a lace doily. I didn't notice any particular strain and the grip felt natural enough.

Rain guard fit well and I like objective covers that hang off the barrels. Hard to lose and always handy. Not the close focus of a roof though enough to sit in recliner and watch the telly. At 6.6* I'm not enjoying the entire 60" screen as it tends to be more of the center slice/letterbox view. Regardless, when the tiny disclaimer pops up on the bottom of the screen I can read it clearly. Not fast enough to read it all during commercial though I can skim for the gist.

Bright image during the day and surprisingly not as dim as I'd thought as sun barely lingers. As bright as the Optolyth Royal 10x45? Not hardly, yet for the price holds itself up well in bright light. Forty-fifty feet lies a large poke salet plant w/indigo berries. I watched tiny flying bugs, from inside the house through dbl pane glass door, milling about.

There is PC though very well controlled. Much more so than the Optolyth. Nary much in the vibrating/shaky Jake depot because they are so short it is as if an extension of me hands grasping the other. Heavier 'high' power bins seem to dampen vibration by slowing down the oscillation via increased muscle force pushing against gravity. The diopter ring had a wee bit of slack in fit though I detected none in actual movement.

An 10x30 porro that's waterproof, FMC, Bak4 prism, weighing barely over a lb for $68.21 TTD was a deal I could not ignore. As a rule the higher the magnification the higher the price, so the deal is even sweeter.

References by some on this board about the little Yosemite, 6x30/8x30, being a child's bin is unfounded by me initial impressions on the 10x30. I'm not sure at what dollar amount they consider a bin to be marketed for an adult. As well I'm not attempting to compare this bin w/any other in spite of design/build/cost.

I consider it a niche bin. Compact/lightweight/nice view/minimal distortions/weatherproof and closer to ten fins than a C-note. Throw in the well respected Leupold warranty and if 15.5mm er is enough then you should be good to go for a spare house/auto/boat bin.

As always YMMV ...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back