• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Image Stabilised bins (1 Viewer)

I've never used an IS bin for an extended period of time, though the views can be remarkable, and modern IS in Canon telephoto lenses is fantastic. However I have a preference for compact and bulletproof, my bins get a lot of use, mostly in the tropics. I tend to hike a lot and my bins get soaked regularly, are frequently grimy with sweat and mud, etc. I tend to wash them completely with soap and warm water with some frequency. So I haven't considered IS bins seriously.

However, I wanted to relate an anecdote that I found interesting: a friend of mine who suffers from Parkinson's uses the Bushnell IS bins and commented that despite the obviously inferior optics to the Canons, the implementation worked far better and thus that was what he used. They have kept him birding for more than 5 years since he has been unable to hold non-IS bins stable, which is fantastic. I don't know more about why he prefers the Bushnell implementation, however.

... The only consolation I can offer is that my 10x42s worked flawlessly for 8 years before they had a glitch. The product appears to be designed to last considerably longer than the warranty. Hopefully that will remain so in the new models as well.

I suspected the duration of mechanics as a rule far outpaced the warranty. Sadly, some percentage would not and those I feel are left holding the bag.

Being a bit familiar w/extended warranties I guesstamate the vast majority of these IS bins last past four years as the assurance is more money in the coffers.

Never sold one.

Perhaps nine or ten.

I would say you received fair value for monies spent.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back