• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Moszkowski and "his" Birds (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some possibly additional info, maybe worth considering, on ...

moszkowskii as in:
• the subspecies Moszkowski's Green-winged King Parrot Alisterus chloropterus moszkowskii REICHENOW 1911 (here) as "Aprosmictus moszkowskii": ... gesammelt von Dr. M oskowski [sic].
• the invalid "Edoliisoma schisticeps moszkowskii" NEUMANN 1917 (here): "Dr. Moszkowski coll."

... which most likely commemorates Dr. Max Moszkowski (1873-1939*), from Wrocław (Breslau in German), Polish alt. Prussian or German traveler, explorer, ethnologist, anthropologist, zoologist and collector (of just about everything) ...

*Disclaimer: His death year is based only (no details found) on the following links; here, here and here (bottom p.8-10). Also see here ... and all over the internet.

He´s present in today's HBW Alive Key as:
moszkowskii
Dr Max Moszkowski (b. 1873) German physician, anthropologist, collector in Ceylon, Sumatra and New Guinea 1907-1911 (subsp. Alisterus chloropterus, syn. Coracina schisticeps reichenowi).
If German or Polish depends on how you look at it, as Wrocław (Breslau) was part of Prussia and Germany all the way until the end of WWII.

More about this guy is found in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds 2014 (here), by Beolens et al ... this said, even if I find his alleged death above (in 1939) a bit far away to fit into their claim of "c.1950".

He´s also (for example) commemorated in the Fish Moszkowski's labeo (a Carp) Labeo moszkowskii AHL 1922 (here) and in the invalid frog "Cornufer moszkowskii" VOGT 1912 (here).

However: Enjoy!

Björn

PS. And, as always: don´t hesitate to prove otherwise!

Could be, sure, maybe ... but I wouldn't bet on it, as his name on all his books is written simply: Max Moszkowski (which, of course, doesn´t prove how it was written originally). However this is as he became known.

Here, here, here, here ... and elsewhere. All over.

Keep digging!

__

Last edited:
Also found here and here. And he apparently rest at this Cemetery, here, in Wrocław (Breslau):

Cmentarz żydowski na ul. Ślężnej 37
Założony w 1856 roku, powierzchnia 4,6 hektara, ogrodzenie murowane z cegieł, zachowanych kilka tysięcy nagrobków; w ogrodzenie wmurowany jest nagrobek z 1203 roku na który natrafiono we wrześniu 1917 r. podczas zakładania kotła nowej instalacji cieplnej we wrocławskiej katedrze Św. Jana Chrzciciela. Ten najstarszy w Polsce pomnik nagrobny z 4 sierpnia 1203 r. stał niegdyś prawdopodobnie na mogile kantora, prowadzącego śpiewne modły w średniowiecznej bóżnicy Wrocławia.

Na cmentarzu pochowani są m. in. Ferdynand Lasalle 1825-64 (uczestnik Wiosny Ludów, socjaldemokrata, przeciwnik marksizmu, założyciel pierwszej partii robotniczej w Niemczech. Jego grób odwiedzali najwięksi politycy niemieckiej SPD - Willy Brandt, Helmut Schmidt), Jan Gottfryd Gallea (1812-1910, astronom, odkrywca planety Neptun), Heinrich Graetz (1817-91, historyk), Max Moszkowski (podróżnik, badacz Sumatry). Na murze cmentarnym widnieje tablica upamiętniająca śmierć 450 Żydów poległych w czasie I wojny światowej. Pochowano tutaj rodziców Edyty Stein, błogosławionej przez papieża Polaka Żydówki wrocławskiej, która zmieniła wyznanie i zginęła z tego powodu w Auschwitz. Cmentarz był miejscem pochówków do 1901 roku, jednak zmarłych chowano jeszcze do czasów II wojny światowej w tzw. dostawkach i w obszarach wcześniej wykupionych.

Google Translate:
Jewish cemetery on ul. Ślężna 37
Founded in 1856, the area of 4.6 hectares, brick fence brick, preserved several thousand gravestones; In the fence is placed a gravestone from 1203 on which was met in September 1917 when the new heating system was installed in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. The oldest monument in Poland, dated August 4, 1203, was probably the cantor's chapel leading the singing prayers in the mediaeval synagogue of Wroclaw.

The cemetery is buried among others. Ferdinand Lasalle 1825-64 (participant in the Spring of Nations, a social democrat, ), Heinrich Graetz (1817-91, historian), Max Moszkowski (traveler, Sumatran researcher). On the cemetery wall there is a plaque commemorating the death of 450 Jews killed during the First World War. The parents of Edith Stein, a Polish Jewish woman blessed by the Pope, who changed their religion and died in Auschwitz, were buried there. The cemetery was a burial place until 1901, but the dead were still buried until the Second World War in the so-called. supplies and in previously purchased areas.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Moszkowski's Green-winged King Parrot Alisterus chloropterus moszkowskii Reichenow, 1911 [Alt. Papuan King Parrot ssp.]
Grey-headed Cuckooshrike ssp. Coracina schisticeps moszkowskii Neumann, 1917 NCR [JS Coracina schisticeps reichenowi]
Dr Max Moszkowski (1873–c.1950) was a German physician, botanist and ethnologist. He travelled to Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and Sumatra (1907), then undertook an expedition to New Guinea (1910–1913) in the area of the Van Rees Mountains and the Mamberano River. He tried to reach the Snow Mountains in Central New Guinea but failed because of food shortages. During the expedition he collected the eponymous parrot. He wrote the articles 'Expedition zur Erforschung des Mamberamo in Hollandish Neu-Guinea' and 'Wirtschaftsleben der primitiven Völker' (1911). Very interested in tribal customs and languages, he wrote 'Wörterverzeichnisse der Sprachen vom Zentralgebirge, vom Südfluß, des Tori, des Sidjuai, des Borumesu, des Pauwoi' (1913). He wrote a book Inst Unerforschte Neuguinea, Erlebnissemit Kopfjägern und Kannibalen (1928).

Wikipedia has his date as well 1939 in Rio de Janeiro.

So he was a Military Dr something that is not mentioned (attached). If I am reading correctly he was a surgeon based on trains during WW1. I find him living in Grunewald outside Berlin from about 1911 until 1937. I assume he was then forced by the political climate to return to Poland and there are records of a Maks Moszkowski of the right age during WW2 in the Jewish ghettos of Poland. I would love to believe the idea he died in Rio but can find no evidence and a far far less romantic end is likely.

Attachments

• 31421_BH20393-00026.jpg
    31421_BH20393-00026.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back