• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Approach on getting more reach (1 Viewer)

nancylewis123

Getting more reach without breaking my back

I currently own a Nikon D200 and Nikkor 300mm F4 lens. I love my set up and have taken some great images, but of course, want more reach. I have saved up my pennies and am ready to purchase, but am struggling with finding the best solution for my needs. I am a petite female and most of my bird photography is done while hiking. I have finally accepted the hard reality that there is no way I am going to treck very far with the Nikkor 500mm F4 or the Sigma 500mm F4.5. I have studied the various zoom options and really want to stick with a prime lens. The Nikkor 400mm F 2.8 is not an option, as it is even heavier than the 500mm F4. I have tried using my Nikkor 300 F4 with a TC, and I am not able to focus fast enough, either with AF or manual. So...here is my new idea: I would sell my 300 F4 lens and my D200 and purchase the D300 with its faster focus and less noise (higher ISO potential), and purchase the Nikkor 300mm F2.8, which will provide plenty of light for use with a TC. So, I would be at an effective 450mm, have more light, a faster focus capacity, greater ISO range and VR. The cost is 2lbs in lens weight, as the D300 weighs essentially the same as the D200. I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on this plan.

Last edited:
Sounds like a very good plan to me. The 300 VR f2.8 is a great lens by all accounts and I have seen some great shots taken with it. I'm not sure that your focussing problems are down to the lens TC combination though. I would suggest you try your current 300 f4 with the D300 before you go for the 300 f2,8. I found the D300 far superior to the D200 at acquiring a focus lock, it made a huge difference to me.

I believe the 300mm 2.8 still weighs 2.8kg. How are you going to carry that combination ?
My lens weighs 1.3kg and it is a bit of an effort carrying it about all day if I go on a long hike.
If you are going to swap cameras, it certainly makes good sense to try the other lens with it first.

Thanks to Outboard and Rioja for your suggestions. I definitely will do this in steps. Just ordered the D300 and can't wait to see it perform with my 300 F/4 and TC. I will report back

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back