• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to digi-scoping: Advice needed (1 Viewer)

Paul - Herts

Paul Herts
I need some input on the setup I have got and how to get the best from it. Some 12 months ago,I was given the scope but the donator, my father, kindly bought a T mount for my canon DSLR and a zoom eyepiece for the scope and I really would like to get something from it, but I gave up in disgust due to the poor results I achieved. Having recently seen some other's efforts, then today's phone-scoped green heron, on this forum, I decided to have another go but once again I am very disappointed with the results.

I don't have any knowledge on the subject at all and find myself stabbing in the dark! The scope is an Opticron Classic IF-2 MT N 75mm angled scope with what I believe is 20x60 zoom eyepiece. Originally I used my 350D but the other day I used my 40D so I could try out the live view to see if it made a difference.

I have attached 2 photos plus a crop of one. The heron was shot at 20x, ISO 640 and 1/40th. The gulls were taken at probably about 40x, ISO 640 and 1/60th. Both were over similar distances of, I guess, around the 100m mark.

The scope itself is beautifully clear, obviously the image darkens as I zoom in, but when the T mount and camera is attached it becomes nigh on impossible to view and focus. Would I be better off with a small compact and a homemade adapter? Or is it worth just practicing and experimenting - if the sun ever shines again lol!

Any advice would be great, but I wonder if I am fighting a losing battle!

Cheers Paul

Attachments

• BF DigiHeron.jpg
    BF DigiHeron.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 199
  • BF DigiHeron2.jpg
    BF DigiHeron2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 161
  • BF DigiLBB.jpg
    BF DigiLBB.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 220
Well first you are shooting at a very long distance using an effectively long focal length lens so you need a very sturdy/stiff mount that is well balanced. You need faster shutter speeds too, to counter all the sources of movement. At that distance, I would raise ISO until you could shoot at least 1/250. Finally, you need to shoots hands free so either a remote release is needed or you can use the cameras release timer.

The truth is though, the best dslr pics are at distances of 40m or less. My advise is work on getting closer if possible. The shots get easier by several orders of magnitude.

good luck,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back