• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I saw a pair of these today secondhand in a (traditionally expensive) optics store in Dublin. I had a look, just out of interest. Optically perfect, well-collimated. They seemed to have a bit of play in the focus-wheel. Asking price 700 euro. Is this particularly expensive?

Sancho, There's a Zeiss 7x42T* (not P) on UK eBay currently with a start price of £300 and a probable BIN price around £520, with a couple of days to go...

I saw a pair of these today secondhand in a (traditionally expensive) optics store in Dublin. I had a look, just out of interest. Optically perfect, well-collimated. They seemed to have a bit of play in the focus-wheel. Asking price 700 euro. Is this particularly expensive?

Well overpriced. A lot better bins on the market these days.

John.

Thanks, John and Bubbs. Just as I thought. I made the mistake of looking through them. Beautiful. But I didn´t have anything to hand to compare, and it was on a busy street, not the best environment for testing binos.

Thanks, John and Bubbs. Just as I thought. I made the mistake of looking through them. Beautiful. But I didn´t have anything to hand to compare, and it was on a busy street, not the best environment for testing binos.

Sancho, you just can't leave well alone can you? :king:

Sancho, Just noticed Ace Optics in Bath have two Zeiss 7x42 BGA for sale, one a T* for £649 and the other a T*P* for £749, so these prices 'straddle' the one in Dublin...

Sancho, you just can't leave well alone can you? :king:

Well, Martin, they were just sat there in the glass case (I´d gone in looking for a tripod-plate screw). They almost had a little tag on saying "Try Me", like the bottle in Alice in Wonderland. So I just had to.

Sancho, Just noticed Ace Optics in Bath have two Zeiss 7x42 BGA for sale, one a T* for £649 and the other a T*P* for £749, so these prices 'straddle' the one in Dublin...

Wow, James. Either Dublin´s getting cheaper (which I doubt), or.....:eek!:

These bins are ancient and the new boys on the block beat them hands down. I wonder what the close focussing of the Zeiss is....answers here please.

Save your money and stop living in the past!

John

John

LOL! Don´t worry, John. I´ve no intention of buying them. I just dream of walking into an antique shop one day and seeing the Genie´s Lamp of the Optics World sat on a shelf, gathering dust.

Close focus is about 5mtrs, unfortunately...
The pair I have sitting next to me has still wonderful smooth focus, 150 mtrs FOV and ergonomics which a lot of the modern boys and girls can take an example upon.

IF they had a good close focus, they would still be high on my list for sure ( I am baby-sitting this pair untill the owner gets back from a long vacation) ;)

These bins are ancient and the new boys on the block beat them hands down. I wonder what the close focussing of the Zeiss is....answers here please.

John

I don't know about that. I have tried the latest 8x42 FLs and they are fine binoculars, I prefer my 8x42 Ultravids, but that is just a matter of taste thing. Point is that for me the new FLs were bright, and definitely alpha optics, but they didn't blow me away. A year ago I was at a wildlife refuge when a small group of bird watchers came up to this viewing platform. One lady had a 7x42 Zeiss Classic, I asked if I could look through it. That bin did blow me away with it's combination of qualities. I think it is similar to those guys who just love the Trinovid BAs and BNs, though not as bright as the latest, and maybe inferior in some other optical ways, it just seems perfect when you look through it.

I really, really don't need one, but if I found a good one at an affordable price, I would have a hard time resisting it.

John

Although Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt is a bit long in the tooth now, and my Hensoldt 7x42 Dialyt is even more 'venerable' ("worthy of reverence on account of old age and good character") there are still many of us who appreciate these 'ClassiC' binoculars for their superb build quality, instilling a pride of ownership which 'new kids on the block' scarcely comprehend.
These 'ancient' binoculars may not have ED glass, dielectric coatings, phase correction, or indeed close focus, but they're still surprisingly capable despite being 'unfashionable'. I suppose it's a bit like comparing an E-type Jaguar with a modern Mitsubishi Evo, which out-drags, out-corners and out-brakes the Jag with ease, but nothing else looks or feels like an E-type: if you want one, there is simply no substitute, and it still 'goes like stink'.
Why do Dialyts/ClassiCs/BGATs continue to hold their prices? Because there's simply no substitute for the real thing...

The close focus on mine is 12 feet. The last pair of bins I'll ever need. Kinda reminds me of the old joke about the young bull and the old bull up on a hill, looking down on a herd of cows....;)

Hello Sancho,

I wrote the following on another thread:

Yes, I still use the 7x42 Dialyt T*p*. I have not tried the FL. However, the Dialyt does everything right: wide FOV, whose edges are not too soft; good suppression of chromatic aberration, possibly because of the long focal length; great brilliance and contrast. Its major drawback is the shortest focussing distance. It even provides a hint of stereopsis.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Hi Sancho,

The last pair of these to sell on eBay was an almost pristine looking pair (darn near looked brand new) with both T and P coatings and sold for $920.00. I've seen another pair sell for over $1000 within the last year, so I'm not so sure that 700 Euros is completely out of line. Considering that they have the lifetime transferrable warranty, I'm not so sure there is anything you can go out and buy today at that price that will truly outperform them. YMMV.

Dean

Hello Sancho,

I wrote the following on another thread:

Yes, I still use the 7x42 Dialyt T*p*. I have not tried the FL. However, the Dialyt does everything right: wide FOV, whose edges are not too soft; good suppression of chromatic aberration, possibly because of the long focal length; great brilliance and contrast. Its major drawback is the shortest focussing distance. It even provides a hint of stereopsis.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Hi Arthur,

:t: Absolutely right. The more I use my 7x42 T*P the more I enjoy it. If it were all I had it would be enough. It's a keeper. (Of course, since I have more it isn't enough, if you know what I mean.) Anyway, the eye relief is outstanding, and given that there is so much over-travel past infinity I suspect that the near focus could be adjusted to a shorter distance.

Sancho, ... you might regret passing this up.

Best regards,
Ed

Last edited:

The asking price for these were reduced to £600 and didn't sell as far as I know, may be worth dropping him a pm.

I've been using this model for 25 years or more and paid £444 for them back then but I'm not sure I would buy such a dated model today.

Hi Sancho,

I've the FL 8 x 32 and a pair of 7x42 T*P - I enjoy both though the 7s are really my house binos for stuff out of the kitchen. I wouldn't dream of parting with the Classics regardless of their value, nor any shortfalls in comparisson to the modern FLs. Paid £200 for them a few years ago. Amazing that the very last of the Classics with T*P* coatings fetch more now than when they were last on general sale for £699 from Ace Optics!

£750 for the T*P* , and thats a "west germany" model, not the latest.
Its still a wonderful binocular though and will still be around when some of todays top models are long forgotten.

I have the "made in germany" model, which gets used, and one in the box unused, it was one of the very last run and bought brand new for £580 i think, from warehouse express.

John

Close Focus 3.5m.

Transmission (over 91%)? Above some of today's offerings....but you did not want to know that, as they are in the past!!!!

When delisted the full RRP inc vat @ 17.5% was £769.00
mak.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back