• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod and Head for Swarovski ATS 80 HD. (1 Viewer)

I use a Benro tripod so the scope is good and sturdy. I believe it can hold up to 26 pounds. ....and a 701 Manfrotto video head....

I use a Manfrotto 144 Birder bit on the heavy side, but sturdy and the scope foot fits perfectly in the head. I would also recommend as scopepac when carrying any distance because of the weight.

Hi,

what is "best" depends of course of what you need and what is your budget.

I use a Manfrotto 701 HDV head, which is pretty good. To get something really better (Gitzo, Berlebach) you'll need to pay much more...

I use a Velbon Carmagne tripod (the current series is called geo), which is a nice lightweigt Carbon tripod and not too expensive. If you use your scope a lot in strong wind, I'd recommend something stronger. The cheapest option for really strong tripods are the Berlebach wooden ones. They are heavy though, to get something lighter you need to go for a much more expensive strong Carbon tripod.

Cheers, Florian

Thanks to everyone for the information, went to Focus Optics near Coventry, fantastic place to buy all your birding equipment, used them several times and they are so helpful. My choice was a Manfrotto 128RC and Velbron Sherpa 630 legs, the head seems more robust than the Swarovski DH 101, and the legs where the perfect height for me without extending the neck, I am 6ft and the scope is angled.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back