• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Servicing BA - BN's (1 Viewer)

I'm always a little dubious buying things used on a sold as seen basis, however I do like the Trinovid BA and BN Series. With regard to Leica servicing what can Leica do to them? Say for instance if the lenses are scratched can they be replaced etc?

Not sure if Leica has stocks of lenses for BAs or BNs.
Or whether there is a 30 year warranty.
Some firms might replace scratched lenses F.O.C. But why should they, when scratches are due to user abuse?

Personally I would much prefer to buy used binoculars without lens scratches.

I cannot think of any camera, telescope or binocular lens that I have scratched.

I dropped a few eyepieces and a heavy monocular. Also a camera.
Removed telescope mirror coatings with car exhaust fumes.
But cleaning scratches, no.

You will have to make a call to Leica service, to find out. There will be a charge for lens replacement
and it may be large.

All companies charge for replacing scratched lenses, that is not a warranty issue. And many optics
may not have supplies of parts to use.

That means be choosy, and if buying pre owned, make sure it is not scratched up, and in proper collimation.

Jerry

Recently sent the wifes, my old, 8x32BNs to be fixed, there was a focusing to issue, via Viking Optics and they have come back within a few weeks and look spot on and far better than before I sent them away.

Whilst this doesn't answer the question around the glass being replaced if scratched it does show Leica can do great servicing on older models and as the Trinovids are still widely used I wouldn't be surprised if they would be able to replace parts such as glass, or at least make significant repairs.

The 8X32BNs are great and never want to part with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back