• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (2 Viewers)

Some from the past couple of weeks

Hi folks. I've been out and about, despite the pissistant rain for the most part, so I thought I'd share a few sketches.

Marsh harriers are a regular feature at Elmley but they are always wary and views tend to be pretty distant unless you get lucky. in the rain they often sit hunched on the ground, much to the amusement of the cows who always seem interested in their feathered neighbours. If all else fails avocets can be pretty much relied on and I love the shapes they make when they're sleeping. Little egrets are also regulars and they too make elegant shapes, I do struggle with them, so more practice can only be a good thing. Had a good morning sunday watching various waders from the Wellmarsh hide (sorry Nick!) A couple of moulting curlew sands had their heads almost constantly under water and common and a green sand moved quickly about the scrape along with snipe, spotshank and a couple of dunlin. Ringed plovers are irrisistable to draw and I'm beginning to appreciate what beautiful birds blackwits are. On days when there seems to be little about within target range, BHGs are worth a look.

And finally, I've just completed a starling painting and as soon as I get hold of a scan I'll get it posted. Cheers

Woody

Attachments

• sleepyavocet.jpg
    sleepyavocet.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 116
  • marsharrier2.jpg
    marsharrier2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 110
  • marsharriers1.jpg
    marsharriers1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 129
  • legrets.jpg
    legrets.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 116
  • rlp eating grass.jpg
    rlp eating grass.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 122
and here are some more...

Attachments

• dunlin curlsand.jpg
    dunlin curlsand.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 125
  • bhgmorning.jpg
    bhgmorning.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 117
  • bwit-comsnd-rp.jpg
    bwit-comsnd-rp.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 119
Great stuff woody. Really love the Godwits and little ringed plover.

Egrets looking good too. the one with its head stetched forward
is a cracker. shame the Harriers were'nt more active for you.
beautiful raptor that I don't see alot of down here.
maybe just unlucky I guess.
lovely body of work

These are so nice to see. Aren't those sleeping shapes just irresisable as well with those eyes occasionallly keeping watch over their shoulder. Sounds and looks like you enjoyed yourself despite the weather.
I am pretty much still at the outline stage in the field at the moment but itching to have another bash tomorrow.Perhaps I'll get more done after seeing this inspiring stuff.

Hybrid painting

Hi folks,

Hybrid mynas are, as far as I know, quite unusual. This one is a hybrid Common x Crested Myna that has been knocking around my area for some years now, paired with a Common Myna.

This is also a hybrid in the sense that it started as a watercolour sketch and finished up under the light sabre, using my trusty Wacom tablet. I find this much faster than starting from scratch with the tablet, and it gives me the flexibility of being able to tweak shapes and colours ad infinitum.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• myna hybrid copy.jpg
    myna hybrid copy.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 152
Woody: Lots of great sketches, make sure you work that avocet up into a painting. I'm particularly fond of the dunlin and the angle on the blackwit's head.

Dave: Like it a lot, interesting way of working that produces a seamless result between the two techniques.

Great stuff all round.

Woody,
Something about the egrets really grab me. I have been so bad at putting thoughts to words lately, I think I will leave it at it being something about the poses you chose and your pencil strokes.

Woody,
Something about the egrets really grab me. I have been so bad at putting thoughts to words lately, I think I will leave it at it being something about the poses you chose and your pencil strokes.

Hello all. Nice to log-in and find the joint thread jumping.

Woody- that Marsh Harrier would come up a treat with just a tint of brown and ginger. I wouldn't be able to resist.

dryslwyn- bottom left swan is very nicely done. Even in this den of sketchers there's nothing wrong and everything right with grabbing from google images and working something out.

Dave B- glad to hear the tablet has gone from new-fangled to trusty in a few months.

Hi folks,

Hybrid mynas are, as far as I know, quite unusual. This one is a hybrid Common x Crested Myna that has been knocking around my area for some years now, paired with a Common Myna.

This is also a hybrid in the sense that it started as a watercolour sketch and finished up under the light sabre, using my trusty Wacom tablet. I find this much faster than starting from scratch with the tablet, and it gives me the flexibility of being able to tweak shapes and colours ad infinitum.

Cheers

Dave

Dave love the results whatever the production method, he's got that cocky
swagger that Myna family members have. Precocious little birds. Hope I
spelt that right!:t:

Great fieldsketches Woody, esp like the BHG watercolour sketch and some well observed jizz on the waders.

I'm between paintings at the moment so a little drawing's in order...

This will probably develop into a painting at a later date.

Woody

Attachments

• iron kes sketch.jpg
    iron kes sketch.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 121
excellent attitude and a piercing look, one thing you've got in this picture is the way the kestrel's 'draped' over the post, but ready to jump off at any minute.

Woody, those harriers are outstanding, love the resting side view bird, really nice, as is the rest. Avocet would make a lovely painting too, as well as the superbly observed Kes...

Dave, Mynah is a cracking piece and full of character, brilliant.

Great to see all the work on here.

Bedtime for me, but these recent contributions have prompted me to make the first 'recognition' of this thoroughly excellent thread. Sooo much work on show here would grace any 'how - to - draw' or 'naturalists' exhibition' - that I think we ought to start voting. Here's the first . . .

Whimbrel and Lesser Sand Plover

Inspired by all those photos of outdoor painting gear, I took my paints out for the first time in a long time today. Not many waders about yet, but I only need one at a time to sketch!

Now I'm suffering from sunburnt ears and arms!

Dave

Attachments

• Lesser Sand Plover copy.jpg
    Lesser Sand Plover copy.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Whimbrel copy.jpg
    Whimbrel copy.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 108
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back