• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.4 or 2x teleconverters (1 Viewer)

neil brown

Hi there

i have the canon 450d and have recently bought the 70-200 f4 l series lens. i wanted a better lens for birding and even though i knew i would be frustrated by the lack of reach i went ahead and bought this lens with a view to being able to afford the bigger 300 or 400mm lens at a later date. the lens is very good and i was right, i am very frustrated and its going to be a good while until i can afford a big brother. in the meantime a tc might make a small difference and i have read that the 2x does result in a loss of iq, my question is how much loss and what is the recommendation between the 1.4x and the 2x tc. many thanks for any advice

I would stick to the 1.4tc if I were you. Apart from a big lose in IQ with the 2x you would also lose AF. The 70-200/4 takes a 1.4tc very well.

I agree with the others - the 1.4TC will see you a lot more use than the 2*TC. I have used both with a 70-200mm f2.8 IS version of the lens and though I retain AF with the 2*TC on this lens the image quality takes a noticable hit.
Some examples with 100% crops
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24534478@N04/sets/72157613520763508/

Whilst on the other hand the 1.4TC hardly has any effect at all on the image quality and is something that I use almost all the time with this lens

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back