• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF80 ED, a good deal (1 Viewer)

Fireform

Cameraland has demos of these with the 20-60 SLC eyepiece and full warranty for $1029 shipped. Good deal? Lukewarm? Screamer?

I think they were being dumped by Adorama for ~$600 last year. The full aperture is only at infinity because focusing prism intrudes into the light cone at close focus, so the scope is really only ~70mm on average.

Frankly, I'd pay a few hundred more for the Nikon ED82 package.

Rick

I recently got a scorcher of a deal at B&H which included a PF80 ED straight, SMC zoom and $150 gift card for about $790. I doubt if the PF80ED can still be got with the SMC zoom, which is excellent till about 45X and usable at 60X only in good light, at this price. I have recently added the 17mm Baader fixed EP which is also very good. But keep away from the Baader zoom as it does not reach focus with the PF80.

The PF80ED seem to get less good reviews then the PF65ED, perhaps due to the design Rick mentioned? I think for that price you can find a far better scope.

I think for that price you can find a far better scope.

I don't think so.

For a little more you can get a Nikon ED82, which I think is a better scope, but that would be it. The PF80 is an excellent performer, especially with an XW EP attached. It does have the reduced effective aperture that Rick mentions but that alone wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

My biggest criticism of them is their size, length specifically. Pretty big and the Nikon 82 is noticeably smaller and narrow waisted. I also never was comfortable with the collet eyepiece attachment. On the plus side it was very secure and of course allows myriad EPs to be tried. On the downside, the interface of EP and scope isn't waterproof. The EPs are, the scope is (sealing window), but water can get between the two in the rain.

Bottom line? For a wee bit more, I'd recommend the big Nikon though the drying up of the supply of Fieldscope EPs should be a concern.

Last edited:
The XW eyepiece is quite expensive and not included. With that added he can get a second hand Swarovski, and it is a far better scope, or the new Vortex scope I saw in another thread and it could be a nice challenger to the alphas.

I don't think so.

For a little more you can get a Nikon ED82, which I think is a better scope, but that would be it. The PF80 is an excellent performer, especially with an XW EP attached. It does have the reduced effective aperture that Rick mentions but that alone wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

My biggest criticism of them is their size, length specifically. Pretty big and the Nikon 82 is noticeably smaller and narrow waisted. I also never was comfortable with the collet eyepiece attachment. On the plus side it was very secure and of course allows myriad EPs to be tried. On the downside, the interface of EP and scope isn't waterproof. The EPs are, the scope is (sealing window), but water can get between the two in the rain.

Bottom line? For a wee bit more, I'd recommend the big Nikon though the drying up of the supply of Fieldscope EPs should be a concern.

The XW eyepiece is quite expensive and not included. With that added he can get a second hand Swarovski, and it is a far better scope, or the new Vortex scope I saw in another thread and it could be a nice challenger to the alphas.

I didn't know one could buy a second hand 80mm Swaro scope in Sweden for $1000. You couldn't find one here for that, most likely. They must depreciate rather quickly over there. I also didn't know that Swaro EPs were a bargain either. Live and learn.

If you are to include the used market, I would suspect one could probably get a PF80 with SMC zoom for around $6-700. The Nikon I'd guess <$1000. But, I concede, if you can buy a Swaro 80 for $1000., that'd be the way to go!

The XW EP costs $300 and makes the package cost $1329. I payed $1450 for my Swarovski ats65hd with 20-60x zoom and stay on case from Cleyspy in England 1.5 year ago, and with the new ATM series Swaro scopes I guess this is not an unusual price for this scope. I never saw that only looked for a 80mm scope.

The XW EP costs $300 and makes the package cost $1329. I payed $1450 for my Swarovski ats65hd with 20-60x zoom and stay on case from Cleyspy in England 1.5 year ago, and with the new ATM series Swaro scopes I guess this is not an unusual price for this scope. I never saw that only looked for a 80mm scope.

Ok, apples to apples?

Buy a used PF65EDII body for $350., add an XW14 for an additional $300. You now have one helluva $650. scope.

My brother and a birding chum both have this set up, so I'm well familiar with it's performance. Several in my club have Swaro 80mm scopes with zooms, so I'm familiar with them also. My take is that, on axis, the Pentax holds it's own with the Swaro for sharpness. However, the Pentax has 20mm of eye relief -and- a 70 degree AFOV.

I'm getting bored now... B :)

Last edited:
He asked if it was a bargain, I think it is not. For the same money he can get a far better scope. I own the PF65ED, it is not better then the Swaro 65mm in any way, and the 80mm is not better either.

Ok, apples to apples?

Buy a used PF65EDII body for $350., add an XW14 for an additional $300. You now have one helluva $650. scope.

My brother and a birding chum both have this set up, so I'm well familiar with it's performance. Several in my club have Swaro 80mm scopes with zooms, so I'm familiar with them also. My take is that, on axis, the Pentax holds it's own with the Swaro for sharpness. However, the Pentax has 20mm of eye relief -and- a 70 degree AFOV.

I'm getting bored now... B :)

The one (easier to see) difference I've found between say the Pentax 65 (first version) and Zeiss 65 is slightly better contrast.

How do you rate the contrast of the systems you compare the PF to Kris and Kevin.

Last edited:
It's interesting you bring this up Kevin as I have noticed a difference. The Nikon ED82 I have now does exhibit a little better contrast and slightly richer color than the PF80 I had.
I primarily used the XW14 on the Pentax, but occasionally an XW20. I mostly have a 30x DS on the Nikon. Sharpness and FOV are a wash.

The view through Swaro scopes (zoom) is very rich and sharp and my only complaint is the typical necked down view through most zooms.

I'm convinced both Nikon Fieldscopes and Swaro HD scopes are superior to the Pentax PFs, but... the Pentax' still deliver. As to whether they're a better bargain depends a lot on where you $tart from, I suppose, and what your criteria and usage are. The Pentax PF65s reach their best at about 28x with the XW14 while I'm pretty sure the Swaro 65 (for instance) will probably support higher magnifications. The Nikon ED82s are well known for their high mag performance, though I'm not interested.

Thanks to everyone for their responses--the to and fro in this thread has been illuminating. I've been borrowing a buddy's PF-65 ED and so am familiar with that unit's strengths and weaknesses. I'm pondering whether to wait until my reserves are up to buying something close to a top-shelf unit, because in the long run that's likely to be more economical (both in time and dollars).

Many thanks again.

I have the Nikon 82mm & the Pentax 80 PF .The Pentax is about 4 inches longer.
I also have the Baader zoom & it can focus from about 30ft to a tv tower at least 2 miles away .
I also have the PF 65 & the Baader zoom will focus in that also with a $10 Burgess 1.9 corrector in the EP.
I have 3 Pentax ,3 Nikons & find the Pentax to be an exellent scopes for bargain prices .
In fact with the XW not the SMC zoom they can compete with most high end scopes.
In fact for daytime the 100 PF compares favorably with my Takahashi sky 90.
Forget the snob appeal save mucho bucks & get a PF.
Yoy will save enough for a nice birding vacation.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back