• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please Help ID (1 Viewer)

Kettch

This hummingbird has been visiting my yard for a few weeks now but I cannot identify him/her with the books I have. Although I have been putting out feeders (and planting hummingbird-enticing plants) for years, I have not seen this type of hummingbird previously.

Attachments

• Hbird1.jpg
    Hbird1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Hbird2.jpg
    Hbird2.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 80
Yes, Manvel is in Texas.

Based on the hummer's color I thought it might be a rufous but they are not supposed to be near Houston (according to the book I have) and it does not quite look like either the male or female rufous pictures.

I'm new to this but have looked at lots of photos and Allen's was my guess. I look forward to hearing what folks in the know think.

Hi, Hettch. Your guest is a young male Rufous or Allen's hummingbird molting into adult plumage. He seems to have all of his adult back feathers and at least some tail feathers, but his gorget has barely started to molt (there are usually the last feathers to be replaced in hummingbirds). Both Rufous and Allen's are well documented as winter residents the the Gulf coastal plain, so your book is behind the curve on wintering hummingbirds (as are many field guides, even some of the newer ones).

I agree with NovaBird and julieah3 that the pattern of green on the back does look like Allen's, which is much rarer than Rufous east of California, but only a better look at the tail can eliminate the possibility of Rufous. If you'd be interested in having a licensed hummingbird bander confirm his identity and give him a band to identify him in case of future encounters, send me a private message with your email address and I'll put you in touch with someone.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back