• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peterson First Guides: Forests and other habitats (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
The series of books with a list price of about 6 dollars appear at book store shelves on and off.

This one is about the only pocket size book of various forested habitats.
https://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Fir...=8-1&keywords=peterson+first+guide+to+forests

There are in fact no field guides to habitats of birds for example. The habitat concept is apparently too abstract for the general public. A wetland habitat guide yields one pocket guide, a Firefly book by Patrck Dugan. It is quite good and worldwide.

Assorted books describe seashores, ponds, deserts, boreal forest, various regional Peterson guides.

Here is the one on sea shores
https://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Fir...533149&sr=1-11&keywords=peterson+first+guides

Though aimed at kids and family, they are mostly well written. I do not care for the first guide to birds (North America).

Not sure what is acceptable when considering depth but I found The Audubon Society Nature Guide, from the 1980's, covers a good bit of habitat. Enough for the layman, anyway.

There's seven in the series, I only have four. They're not pocket size, a little smaller than The Sibley Guide To Birds; 5-1/2 inches by 8-1/2 inches, paper back with a cloth spine.

Atlantic and Gulf Coasts
Deserts
Eastern Forests
Grasslands
Pacific Coast
Western Forests
Wetlands

I don't think anyone would be disappointed with any of these.....I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have a good deserts book, but ordered the grasslands, though I do have a couple of those.

Most people know something about wetlands, but those can vary a lot. A new one for me a year ago was mesic prairie.

To me it is surprising how people cannot distiguish upland forest and riverside bottomland.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back