• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow ID (Lincoln's,Song?) Gainsville, Florida today (1 Viewer)

serena933

Sparrow ID (Lincoln's,Song?) Gainsville, Florida today

I went looking for a Lincoln's sparrow reported in a field in Gainsville at NewLake. Are these just song or something else? Thanks!!--Breanna
3840.jpg

3843.jpg

3813.jpg

3815.jpg

Front-view photo

Editing the photos further today, the front view of the first bird might look more like song-sparrow. Ebird would not accept as Lincoln's so I am thinking song now. Any thoughts?3834.jpg

All Song for me; note the thick streaking on all the birds. (Though I'd qualify by saying the quality of the photos of the first bird make me less than 100% certain on it.)

The blue-gray face, buffy malar and flanks, gray back that contrasts with the brown wings, and clean streaking on the back all point to Lincoln's. The streaking thickness on the flanks is in range for a Lincoln's as well.

Thank you for all of the replies! Ebird (reviewer) will keep a bird on your personal list, but not show on the hotspot when there is a question about the authenticity. No problem since I am not 100% myself, but still think this could possibly be it. Thanks again!

What makes it a Song over Lincoln's for you guys other than the streaking on the flanks (which I mentioned is in range for a Lincoln's)? Also there are already a few reports of Lincoln's in Florida this year (many in Gainesville).

Last edited:
What makes it a Song over Lincoln's for you guys other than the streaking on the flanks (which I mentioned is in range for a Lincoln's)? Also there are already a few reports of Lincoln's in Florida this year (many in Gainesville).

You made me take another look and I think I was simply careless in my initial id. They are Lincoln’s for the reasons you pointed out as well as the bill shape and size. I think it’s actually pretty definitive, the small triangular and fine pointed bill is not like song sparrow in addition to the streaks on the back and the faint line behind the eye is not as bold as expected in song sparrow. The angle of photo 2 leaves little ambiguity of the bill shape and size and makes me pretty confident.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back