• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF-65ED A (not an Aii) for $398 (1 Viewer)

Back to not being able to focus at infinity with certain EP's - what exactly does this mean and how would I know if I have EP that cannot reach infinity?

Focusing on infinity means focusing at a very distant point....ie, a mountain's horizon line at better than a mile or two...or focusing a star to a fine point. That is focusing at infinity. Many scopes will focus eyepiece exceptionally close (10 feet for example) but when you go to try to focus that same eyepiece/scope body combination at infinity you can run out of focusing range with the focusing knob and the image never comes into focus. I fan into that problem today while trying the Pentax XW 20 on a Zeiss Diascope 65 body. I ran out of focusing range with the knob and could never focus at infinity with that particular eyepiece. The Celestron Xcel 25 mm works beautifully in it though.

On another note, if I am not mistaken, the original post (and title) here were in reference to the Pentax ED A 2 scope body for $398. Subsequent review of the spottingscopes.com link seems to indicate that it is the original ED A scope body and not the "2" version. Not that it matters any to me but I thought I would mention it in case someone else has an issue with it.

The scope for $398 on Spottingscopes.com is an Pf-65ED, not an EDII. I checked the site for the EDII and that is when I found it saying they had none in stock.

http://www.spottingscopes.com/spott...tting-scopes/pf65edaspottingscopebodyonly.cfm

That is why I asked what the difference was between the 2 scopes. That website makes me feel like I am crazy!! I actually pulled up a listing for the ED-Aii and it was out of stock & then I pulled up a listing for the ED-A and it said $449. Now I can't pull a listing for the ED-Aii to save my life and the ED-A is listing for the great priceof $398. Repeat after myself: I am not crazy, I am not crazy.....!

Frank, thanks so much for the clarification of focused at infinity! Makes great sense and I now know what to look for.

Last edited:
Laura:

Prior to ordering, I called spottingscopes.com and asked them if their PF-65ED A is the current model - the Aii. They assured me that it was, that the original "A" is no longer being made or available. The original straight model was then and still may be available from opticsplanet.com, thus they identified their current production straight as an "ii". As I recall, spottingscopes.com's photo of the Aii, when enlarged, shows the "ii" designation?

So that's how I knew to call it an Aii. It is scheduled to arrive tomarrow. I will confirm the model designation that I receive.

Frank; excellent clarification of focusing to infinity.

Bearclawthedonut

Last edited:
Laura:

The difference between those two tripod/head kits is that the XB has lever leg locks making it a bit faster to set-up/take down. That certainly is worth $20 to me over the life of the tripod. If I got the XDB, then I'd being kicking myself forever. Still, although $239 is a bit pricey to me for a tripod, it is a good sturdy, all around tripod even though it does not wheigh 15 pounds. There are better (lighter weight and more costly - 701HDV) heads, but I can always upgrade the head after an oil well or two comes in. Anyone know where I can get a cheap oil well?

Bearclawthedonut

Last edited:
spottingscopes does not ship overseas.. Shame when that pentax looks that good. Any know a store who ships and got a similar offer?

Well, Received my Pentax PF-65EDA today. That's right, it's an A, not an Aii! The box says "A" and the spotting scope says "A" and so does the eight language, fold-up Owners "Manual". I have a clear recollection of seeing both the new box and scope body and both said Aii, as I recall. Looks like the Spottingscope.com customer service rep that I spoke with either did not know what he was talking about or... Well, I would prefer not to go there. Unless, my recollection is wrong, they found a source for the old, obsolute, pre II series spotting scopes and that is what is on sale. I also rechecked the posted photo of the scope body on spottingscope.com and enlarged its a bit out of focus, but it still looks like it says Aii, at least some of the time to me. A bit disappointing, but...

I inserted my WO Zoom and I really liked what I saw! ER is pretty good, I would guess that it gets down to around 17mm at magnification above 42 to 45x. I can still see the entire field, but need to move my eye about to do so. It's hard to say for sure as I have a bit of a problem. Actually several.

First, I got the wrong replacement compression washer. Synd (thank you very much for pioneering and refining the installation of the WO Zoom in the PF-65) provided explicit, detailed instructions and I bought the wrong size replacement compression washer (months ago). No big deal, I just cut mine down so that it would fit and work for now. I'll get the right size later along with his recomended "O" ring.

I'm proud that I decided to get a tripod/head (Bogen 718B) before I bought a scope body, but maybe I was a bit hasty in sending it back? As now, I do not have a tripod to mount my new scope on. But, I'm pretty resourcefull, so for testing purposes, I placed my new scope with temporary installed ep on the top rail of my patio fence, holding it firmly so it would not fall off and focused on the Tualatin River-side vegitation about 120 +/- yards away. Nice view! The patio fence rail is surprisingly stable. Zoom and body work great together (Thanks again Synd)! I was even able to tilt it up to look into the tops of Doug-Firs several hundred (300-400)yards away. With the cut down compression ring it appears the scope/ep will focus to infinity at all mags. But to take it into the field, I'm either going to have to get a tripod or cut down my patio fence and drag it with me. Hmmm, that's a difficult choice...

I guess what all this means is that as much as I do not like being deceived, even inadvertently, I'm still gonna keep this scope. I'll certainly call spottingscopes.com and let them know about their "error". I've decided, anybody have a saw I can borrow?

Bearclawthedonut

Last edited:
BCTD,

I am glad to hear that you are happy with the scope. From what I personally observed and from what I gathered from other postings there really is very little difference optically (and certainly not mechnanically) between the two versions of the scope. And, as you commented, it is the end result that matters most.

I look forward to hearing more comments on the WO zoom. I do remember reading earlier comments about it, and the subsequent modifications, with the Pentax 65. I have no experience with it but would be interesting in hearing of further experiences.

Laura: Your skepticism was well founded and I was a bit too eager (and trusting) to get an extraordinary deal.

FrankD: Is there any way to edit/change this thread's title to: "Pentax PF-65ED A (not an Aii) for $398"??? It's still not a bad deal, but it's no longer a great one. I do not want others to be deceived as I was. The original straight 65ED sold at one time (right after the new ii series came out for as little as $350 - according to MSshopper), so $398 for the angled body is not a bad deal, but future potential purchaser's should not be confused by my error.

My bad and certainly not spottingscopes.com's good. When I talked to them, they "sincerely appoligized", offered a free return call tag and a full refund. However, it is a very nice scope and unless a problem shows up in the next few weeks, I'm going to keep it. Just got in from looking at four male and one female Wood Ducks on the Tualatin River via Vortex Fury 8x28's. Very beautiful, but a bit shy. They got within 60' of us, then saw Sadie (Springer Spaniel) and went back up river. Sadie likes ducks, baked, roasted, broiled - does not matter to her.

I'll have to get a tripod before I can make any critical comments on the PF-65/WO zoom combination; however, the view is huge at 52x.

Bearclawthedonut

I was just about to decide between this and another scope, and then suddenly it sold out at spottingscopes.com. So it is out of stock, for the moment at least.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back