• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Homemade adapter $5 (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
I was looking at the swaro adapters and the price...yikes. So, I just went to the hardware store and figured I could make one.

First thing I had to do was look at my camera and measure the lens as it pops out from my camera in mm. I did the same for the scope eyepiece where i measure the diameter in mm. I took those to the hardware store.

I thought PFC pipe since it is not metal and abrasive. I found two pieces. One piece fits nicely into the eyepiece of scope (about 37mm). The second piece of PFC fits nestles nicely into the first one. Together they make up my adapter.

Once I purchased the pieces I had to come back to my scope and begin looking at how far out my camera needs to be before I get rid of any viginetting. I measure that so I know how deep to make my adapters. Once i figure it out, I merely cut to fit and as you can see, neither is very big.

My camera fits in nicely although I still have to hold it but that is easy to do. Also, I can pop my camera out and quickly move the scope to another target while leaving the adapter in there. I do lose a bit of pupil mm but if needed, i could take out the entire adapter and search, then place the adapter back in.

For now....this will do. I want to practice but again, today is a snowy day and the pics I took so far are from inside through a window, not the prime way to judge. But judge for yourself my adapter....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 211
I was looking at the swaro adapters and the price...yikes. So, I just went to the hardware store and figured I could make one.

First thing I had to do was look at my camera and measure the lens as it pops out from my camera in mm. I did the same for the scope eyepiece where i measure the diameter in mm. I took those to the hardware store.

I thought PFC pipe since it is not metal and abrasive. I found two pieces. One piece fits nicely into the eyepiece of scope (about 37mm). The second piece of PFC fits nestles nicely into the first one. Together they make up my adapter.

Once I purchased the pieces I had to come back to my scope and begin looking at how far out my camera needs to be before I get rid of any viginetting. I measure that so I know how deep to make my adapters. Once i figure it out, I merely cut to fit and as you can see, neither is very big.

My camera fits in nicely although I still have to hold it but that is easy to do. Also, I can pop my camera out and quickly move the scope to another target while leaving the adapter in there. I do lose a bit of pupil mm but if needed, i could take out the entire adapter and search, then place the adapter back in.

For now....this will do. I want to practice but again, today is a snowy day and the pics I took so far are from inside through a window, not the prime way to judge. But judge for yourself my adapter....

A friend of mine made a similar adapter for his Canon A570IS - the camera has a little bayonet ring that one can remove to attach a filter-attachment cone. Taking this little protective ring off of the store-bought camera, her super-glued it to a pvc pipe that was just wider than his ocular. makes for a nice little adapter - basically a home-made version of the Swarovski DCB.

Happy digiscoping,
Dale

makes for a nice little adapter - basically a home-made version of the Swarovski DCB.
Hi Dale,
I think you mean the DCA. The DCB is a fine piece of engineering, but much bigger. Since there are the DCB-S and the DCB-A (for angled scope) people are confused and mixed up often DCA with DCB-A. Swaro should use better names :king:
Frank

This piece is pretty easy to make. Still a rotten Pacific Northwest day outside or I would play with it some more but I am limited to inside and looking out the windows. But today I did some playing around and it appears to function well. With my camera (Canon S1200) I do need to zoom in to around 3, and the lens itself is just in the eyepiece a hair, but my adapter keeps it in that position easy enough.

This adapter I made really depends on your camera lens and the size/ as well as the eyepiece ring of the scope. PFC only comes in so many sizes....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back