• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Photography (1 Viewer)

digi-birder

Last Thursday and Friday I was helping at a conference that my boss organised and while there I picked up a book (that he also published, so I am unable to divulge the title, etc).

In the first chapter, about the development of bird photography, there was a passage that made me cringe and smile at the same time.

In the gallery on BF, reference has been made (jokingly) to people sticking the more flighty birds onto the branch in order to get a photo, as it's virtually impossible to get shots of, say, Long-tailed Tit as they never seem to sit still for more than a milli-second.

This book makes reference to an early bird photography pioneer, who took superb photos of waders. Apparently, he would catch the bird, tie a stone to its feet and then stand the bird in a pool, where it had to stand still. This was in the days of half-plate cameras.

It was a little later that it was discovered that a hide (blind) would suffice!!

I won't say much more about the book, but as I've been dipping into it, I've found it to be quite fascinating, apart from the photos being in black and white.

I wonder how he caught the Waders,Diane,must have put nets/traps in place.Poor birds,I,m glad it is not happening now,but yes,interesting.

I'm also curious about how long the exposure was. Film wasn't exactly fast in those days and the subject would have to be still for several seconds to record on a glass plate for example.

AndyC

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back